Fishing Regulations Gaspe - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
In moderation

Fishing Regulations Gaspe

I am off to Gaspe in a couple of weeks and I am trying to get my gear together.

Can I fish with sinking or intermediate lines?
Can I use sink tips?

Can I use flies tied on brass or aluminium tubes?
Can I use weighted flies?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Gaspe

Hi petevicar,

My understanding reading the regulations is you must use rods equipped with unweighted lines with only one artificial fly, not sure about tubes with metal bodies?

Here is a link to the regulations.

https://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/...ions/index.asp

Alan (salmonguy)
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Can I fish with sinking or intermediate lines?
Yes, both of them

Can I use sink tips?
Yes

Can I use flies tied on brass or aluminium tubes?
Yes, both of them (for brass, confirmed twice by the MRNF on specific request about this)

Can I use weighted flies?
No, and no conehead
Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Gaspe regulations

Interesting answers, A floating line is fair. A dry fly is a must. By the way, I believe it is No More than two hooks per fly (no Trebles). Is that correct?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM
In moderation

I am confused. Following Alan's (salmonguy) link I find this:

Fishing methods

In most salmon rivers or parts of salmon rivers mentioned in this publication, only fly fishing is authorized. In this case, when fly fishing, you must abide by the following rules:

you must use rods equipped with unweighted lines with only one artificial fly*;
artificial flie may be composed of a combination of hooks that takes into account the size of the hooks illustrated to actual size below; such flie must never have more than three points;
flie may have attachments made of silk, metal wire, wool, fur, feathers or a combination of these materials or other materials;
flie must not have spinning or waving parts, nor be equipped with weights to facilitate sinking;
flie must not be baited unless stipulated otherwise in this brochure.
* Outside the salmon sportfishing period, up to three artificial flies may be used when fishing for species other than salmon is authorized. However, when fishing in salmon river in Zones 23 and 24, you must always use single flies with a single, double or triple hook.

The biggest size of hook allowed when the flies is equipped with:

Note: There is no restriction on shank length.
When authorized, angling is practiced using a line equipped with lures, hooks or flies, baited or not. Hooks may be single, double or triple. A lure or fly counts as a hook. A line must not have more than three hooks

Therefore I assume that an "unweighted line" can be a sinking line but it can not have any additional weight on it.

Treble hooks are allowed but less than size 6.
I am not sure how to interpret this "flie may have attachments made of silk, metal wire, wool, fur, feathers or a combination of these materials or other materials;
flie must not have spinning or waving parts, nor be equipped with weights to facilitate sinking".
Apparently flies may be tied with metal wire but no weights are allowed.

There is no mention of tubes.

Any further info would be a great help.
Thanks

Pete
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 AM

"how to interpret this "flie may have attachments made of silk, metal wire, wool, fur, feathers or a combination of these materials or other materials"

This is the definition of what is a fly used by the MRNF. The tube is considered to be the support of the fly and can be made with any materiel usually available on the market. To avoid it, the MRNf consire that they should eliminate any material with density hiher then water; welcome to plastic hooks!! As already mentionned, this specific point has alaready been validate with the regulation department of the MRNF, is required, I have a .pdf of this confirmation

"flie must not have spinning or waving parts, nor be equipped with weights to facilitate sinking".
You are right

"I assume that an "unweighted line" can be a sinking line but it can not have any additional weight on it."
Exactly. But the current conditions doesn't required sinking lines, it may change, but a floating line is usualy used and much better seen by other anglers. A full sinking in the middle of a holding pool in low water is not exactly a good option to meet new friends

Another comment. This is fine for 2008, but everybody should look at 2009 regulation, since there are a lot of changes to come (expected in 2008 in fact, but not applied yet).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.