Mustad C70S hooks - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Mustad C70S hooks

I've been a huge Mustad fan for the past 30 years, but have finally decided the C70S hook is not strong enough for bonefishing. I seem to be consistently bending size 6 and 4 hooks before breaking 12# tippets. I can even bend size 6 on 10# tippets.
I've observed this over several years and with many bonefiush. I know, I know, one shouddn't be putting this much pressure on a bonefish, but there are situations where I feel the need to clamp down a bit, and really, the hook shouldn't give out before the tippet.

I've also tried using the C68S, and it doesn't bend, but I find the short shank and large gap makes it much harder to keep from falling over with bead chain eyes.

So, no more C70S for me. I guess I'm back to the old 34007, which hasn't let me down, and maybe I'll start experimenting with fancy Japanese hooks. Still, it's a disappointment to find the C709S can't stand up to bonewfishing, since it seems like a superb hook in all other ways.

Your mileage, of course, may differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 05:57 PM

I have used 34007 almost exclusively for bonefish flies, but I have found them a little inconsistent , opening up on a 3- 4lb fish and being fine on larger fish. this has happened on a couple of occasions, making me wonder if I should be changing to another hook. But with close to 500 or so flies tied on them I am a little shy of starting over, also there is the cost factor, small I know when compared to the cost of a trip. Did you ever experience this with the 34007 ?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM

I don't recall ever having a problem with a 34007 hook.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 AM

If your a Mustad man then looking at your criteria I would suggest Mustad S71 SSS. O ' Shaugnessy pattern - Strong and chemicaly sharpened.

A great hook indeed.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:31 AM

Well, yes, but it's a long shank - a little longer than I like for bonefish ties.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 AM
In moderation

I used to use Mustad hooks but on a trip to Norway I went past their factory and noticed that a main part of their business was making paper clips.
That seemed to me to be a good reason why the hooks sometimes straighten.

Now I mostly use Japanese hooks such as Gamakatzu, Daiici, Tiemco and Owner.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barramundi-uk
If your a Mustad man then looking at your criteria I would suggest Mustad S71 SSS. O ' Shaugnessy pattern - Strong and chemicaly sharpened.

A great hook indeed.
Almost a year has gone by since the above post but I just spoke with my tackle shop here in NY and the owner who has a great online catalog and has been in the business for many years denies that Mustad is planning to discontinue their 34007 hook - he had just spoken with them - says the rumor is not true - also said that doesn't mean that sometime down the road they won't be discontinued but as for today, they are not and he has plenty of stock. He was wondering why his business for the Mustad hooks had increased so drastically lately!

Also, pertinent to the above post on the S71SS, Mustad has discontinued this style # but has replaced it with the exact same style hook but with a "permasteel" finish, no longer stainless steel. The number of this hook is 71SZ in case you are having difficulty locating the old S71SS.

Hope this helps stop the frantic dash to scoop up the remaining 34007's!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
I've used 34007 hooks for years with excellent success. They need to be sharpened out of the box, and the barb mashed. It is a large barb, and even mashed, there will still be a nob or micro barb.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
resigned

So, no more C70S for me. I guess I'm back to the old 34007, which hasn't let me down, and maybe I'll start experimenting with fancy Japanese hooks. Still, it's a disappointment to find the C709S can't stand up to bonewfishing, since it seems like a superb hook in all other ways.

Your mileage, of course, may differ.[/QUOTE]

The new Mustad Signature series are sharper and use a stronger alloy steel in the 34007 as well as the C70SD.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.