MI here!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Location: West Branch of the Delaware River (PA/ NY)/ Rogue River, MI
MI here!!!

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I am from the capitol area, Michigan. I first learned to flyfish with my father in Pennsylvania, and I do surprisingly little flyfishing here in the great lakes state (looking to change that though). When I do go here, I typically fish the Rogue river in Rockford. In pennsylvania I frequently fish the Delaware river, which is exceptionally difficult due to how picky the fish there are about flies matching the hatch perfectly. The first fish I caught there entirely on my own was a beautiful 14" rainbow that I hooked on a sulfur emerger that I had tied myself. I was fishing from the shore on the west branch, and I was either 13 or 14. That is my proudest moment in flyfishing. I am now 16 and a senior in high school. In addition to flyfishing I have another expensive hobby, paintball. I also enjoy art, music, and photography. I want to flyfish a lot more than I currently do, so hopefully I will get a chance to do that in the next year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
Welcome!

Do youself a favor at hit the Au Sable during the hex hatch in late June/early July. Spinner imitations, as well as hex imitations at night will produce big, BIG browns.

I've caught countless dozens of 20"+ fish out of those waters. Easily the best trout waters in all of MI.

Go Minnesota Vikings!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I would very much like to fish the hexagenia hatch but I cannot currently afford a guided float so I would be limited to wading or floating on my own, which I am more comfortable doing on water I know, like the Delaware. However, that is on my list of flyfishing to do's. Is that hatch fishable wading, or would I be better saving for a float rental?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Send a message via AIM to Frogfish
There are quite a few spots that are wadeable, but during the day it could be a tad crowded.

Go Minnesota Vikings!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 PM

I take it floating would be more adviseable then. I will look into that, maybe I'll be able to get some funds together.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Pullin' Thread

Welcome,

I grew up in the Hazleton, PA area (I left there in 1979 at age 25) and fished the West Branch Delaware and the mainstem from Hancock down to Callicoon a lot. I had many great days fishing hatches for its wild trout and its shad. Some of my best memories are of fishing the Golden Drakes, sulfers, and blue winged olives, along with the huge caddis egg-laying flights on summer evenings. I also had some very memorable nights fishing for large browns on the West Branch.

Since the Delaware and West Branch Delaware are such large rivers and you waded them, I doubt you would find wading most any river difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.