sharkskin - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 AM

sharkskin

Hi, I bought a sharkskin 3 weight and 5 weight. The leaders I used did not have a loop so I had to tie the leaders onto the the sharkskin loop. One sharkskin broke after just 3 days, and the other after a week. I read on another bulletin board that a another user had similar problems with the loops breaking, and was accussed of being at fault for tieing the leader onto the line instead of using a loop to loop. Well pardon me, but not all leaders have loops! So has SA actually gotten so big for their britches that they will sell you a $100 fly line and accuse you of improper use for tieing your leader to the loop? I have used Cortland lines for 2 years and never had such a problem!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 AM

Sad to hear that
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM
LBFF Mojo

No offense but why are you buying $100 fly lines without a knowledge of loop systems...seems a visit back to the basics of fly fishing knots should be considered.

Tying a leader onto a loop without a loop to loop knot would severely stress the loop. It is not made to just tie a knot into the middle of the loop and have things work, I am not surprised it broke.

Learning a simple surgeons knot to loop your leaders is in order. Then you can use loop to loop knots. Otherwise now that the loops are broken just cut them off and nail knot your leader to the fly line. You were not using the loops for what they were made for so just cut them off.

What I would do is bring the lines back to the fly shops you bought them at. Have them teach you a surgeons loop knot for your leaders. See if they will replace the sa lines for you or install new loops for you. The line is still fine without the loop, or just remove the loop and nail knot your leader to it.

-sean
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
So how do you like the performance of the sharkskin versus a standard line in other respects, such as casting distance, shooting ability, floating, etc?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM

One hundred buck for a line! I would like to see more opinion on it and to repeat what has been said before; casting, fishability, floating, etc.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 PM

hey there.
You should really pay attention to Sean's advice if you are going to keep with flyfishing as a major activity.

Because a line's loop broke does not mean that line is total junk. Also, tying a loop into the butt of a leader is one of the simpler knots out there. Plus, you could cut the loop and tie a nail knot.

Before you go trashing a product, you should be aware of these things. It wasn't the line's fault.

That said, I'd question seriously the value of a 100 dollar line.

I have not cast it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.