Flats boots for Acklins - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Flats boots for Acklins

Will be returning to Acklins next month and am wondering the preferred flats boots setup that others have used? I had the "Bite" primal flats boots and they could not withstand the sand and muck during parts of our walks. Plus I recieved several nasty blisters. Can someone advise me of a setup (ie boots, neoprene socks, gravel guard, etc) that has worked for them in the past, specfically on Acklins?

Thanks!

DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Sorry if one of the mods can delete one of the posts that would be great.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I've done DIY Acklins 3 yrs now and I really believe in the Patagonia Marl Walkers II. The Simms were uncomfortable for me, a friend had the Bites and returned them. I use thin Simms neoprene sox and Simms neoprene gravel guards. Perfect (for me).
Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM

Flats Boots

Just back from 2 weeks in Acklins. DIY trip all walking (up to 8 miles a day)

I bought a pair of Cabelas flats sneakers for the trip. They're lighter than my Chotas and held up really well. A lot of the hikes were over coral and limestone , no problems.

I bought them 1 size larger than I normally wear. I did get a little chafing around the collar of the boot, but not bad. I wore high socks and folded the tops over the top of the boots, that seemed to keep out most of the sand. Perhaps you might want to cement over the vents.

Hope this helps.

CC Charlie
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I've used he simms for some time and find them fine. Good foot protection on coral. Have a new pair of the marlwalkers I am going to try out this Winter. The key is to wear neoprene socks and try to seal off the top so sand/muck does not enter into your boot, or at least into your neoprene socks so it can rub on your skin and cause abrasions. I use a pair of surfing neoprene booties--got them at a store in San Diego--I believe they are called h20. They have a velcro strap at the top to seal off at your shins. Work pretty well, and they are not too thick so size of the boot does not become an issue.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:28 PM

I have the old style Marlwalkers and they have served me well for 3 years. They protect your feet well but are difficult to get on and off. I have been told the the Marlwalkers II are better. The key like many have said is to wear a neoprene booty inside them. I use a liner sock and then the booty.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Wow thanks for the quick responses! I was thinking either the Patagonia or Simms boot.. I will have to find a cabelas and try both of them on.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Didn't we have this same conversation last year? :-)
I used the Cabela's flats sneaker for my trip (fit my budget and my narrow foot)worked great also used hiking socks with high spandex count and rolled them over the top of the boot to keep muck out. Went through some pretty soft stuff at times and very little got in my shoe. I also brought a couple velco straps as an extra seal but didn't need them.
Have Fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.