Acklins DIY - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Acklins DIY

Hey guys new member here.

Headed to Acklins DIY in Nov.From reading old posts I see some of you have been down there.I've been there several times At Greys Pt, and never been below Snug Corner.

I'm wondering how well stocked the local grocery is, and also the availability of petrol? Bahamas air has pretty low weight allowance, 44 lbs so I dont think I'll be able to bring in much, half my bag is filled with bug dope and sun screen.

Also has anyone eaten at Club Rollx. I understand there might be a place to at Pestels.

Appreciate any input..........Thanks CC charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM

Rollex has rooms and lots of fried foods...chicken, conch, fries and thats about it. Vehicles are not available generally unless you rent Felton's house and SUV which most people do and I recommend for diy. You might get a room and small car from Mable at the airport. Gas and food are both easy but expensive at Spring Point. Logistics are the hard part, a flat tire may cost a coupe days of fishing unless you are at Felton's where there is a flat with in walking distance.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Forget Pestell resort--I don't believe it is even open, though I could be wrong.
Grey's Point will serve you dinner--just call ahead to be sure they are available.
Also, Chester's highway Inn in Chesters, north of Grey's Point will serve dinner--again just call ahead to be sure. Excellent food and Arnette and Julius are great hosts.
They may also rent you a pickup truck if available and not being used by their guests. No need to worry about a flat tire at Chester's-they have 3 vehicles and can usually make repairs right there, and they are on an expansive flat--you can see tailers from your window! Plus they have bikes and kayaks just in case.

Grocery stores are not really well stocked, so I always eat out--usually at Chester's or Grey's point. I have heard guys also do well to stay at Feltons which is much further south.
New gas station in Spring Point too.

Have only had beers at club rollex--fun place.

e-mail me if you have any more questions.
Have a great trip!! I'll be there in March--can't wait.

One more thing--don't lose your bahamasair ticket stub for your flight home--they will try and make you buy an new one.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 AM

Acklins DIY

Thanks for the input Bob B and Vince.

I'll be at Feltons in Delectable Bay. 1st time in that area though I've been to Greys Pt several times since 2002.

Planning on bringing in some foods primarily for lunches on the flats. I'll def. get up to Chesters for dinner. Greys Pt might be a little sticky as I cancelled with them to go to Feltons (economics).

I'll be there for two weeks Nov- Dec going in on a Wednesday as the last time I went in on a a Saturday I did'nt get my luggage till the following Tues.

I'll give you guys a report when I get back

Thanks .....Charlie
Old 10-21-2007, 08:00 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
good luck, and have a great trip. Rip some lips!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Just out of curiousty ,how reliable is the sheduled air to Acklins/Crooked Island.Is there such thing as a reasonable charter from Nassau?Has anyone chartered?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.