Rip Trips for 2008 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 AM
President of CAC

Rip Trips for 2008

I will speak with Keith on the 08 season. I am hopeful to schedule many trips... also discus with him the numbers... for example if birders are going down, how many fisherman can go?.... can we have any numbers with a max of 15?...can, say, two guys go if necessary if the boat is filled with walkers? Can we schedule these trips weekly starting in May..or earlier ? We need to do this because of the weather cancellations... In fact, I am going to schedule one for one at least once...me, and I will pay the $300 since it's still less, or equal money, for a shore guide. I would not need to take a shore guy anyway. The bite , as we have seen, is probably better from the rip than drifting a boat though the area . At some point could I get 2 others for $100 each for the day...Questions like this will be discussed with Keith. How about the situation where Keith can do it with one nights notice. On a regular summer day, midweek or weekend, we have 5 or 6 Forum guys going to NM or SB.... how about a last minute trip to the tip... providing Keith can fit it in to his days schedule...we usually leave before the seal trips and come back after the last seal trip. One way or another, and now with the bigger boat ,we need to schedule more of these inbetween the usual past scheduling; and what about the mid location trip...This will give us four choices instead of the usual two location choices of SB and NM...just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
John, excellent points. Unless we get a new cut at S. Beach to refresh the area, I'm afraid it is done except early spring. The exception on S. Beach is the oceanside, which can be awesome during the migration. We also have the option of the north tip of S. Monomoy. Good structure to the west and south near Minimoy. A few of us did the midway on S. Monomoy, and it is definitely worth a trip - good flats and structure north of the drop-off. Plus, it is only a short walk to the oceanside at the dropoff.The rip is still the crown jewel. Trips in May could be epic since it is a great ambush point for the migrants.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 AM

John I am certainly game for all of the above. It seems as though when we make long term plans they get torpedoed by the weather.
If we can convince the good captain to take a few of us down on short notice, I am willing to spend what it takes.
Like I said before, For the few times I am able to go, it is cheaper than owning a boat capable of getting out there.
If I am already down there & things do not work out there is always the other locations that can serve as a back up. I plan on buying a SOT Yak this winter for bayside fun next year without having to quit early due to the tide.

Never the less the Rip is truly a shore fisherman's dream come true.

I like the idea of starting earlier too. may give more of us a chance to get down there. If the Plovers don't screw things up......although the first trip the signs were up.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM

A question I have is the Rip Trip exclusive to Forum members only? My vote is that it remains so.
Warren , I too am going to do more yakking in 08. That's the reason I got the yak in the first place but I haven't used it that often because to the fishing was so good without it. Things have changed and will change . Let's see what the Winter brings. FishHawk
Old 10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
President of CAC

Bill, I agree with the FFF use. I also believe that Keith is on board with that. Right now it's Juro or I that can schedule and Jim Sims can as well. But I know Keith will not feel comfortable with opening it up uncontrolled by him.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 AM

John,
While I am not one for excessive oversight on most things. There are exceptions. I think these rip trips should be under the control of very few and only forum members be aloud to participate. That way we can police our own as the saying goes

As most of us know, South Monomoy is a National Wildlife Refuge and a real unspoiled gem right in our own over developed back yards. It should remain that way.
We should also not get in the way of Keith and his relationship with the folks at the refuge. Let them call the shots. After all they are the people that allow this to happen in the first place. If people start going down there willy nilly it will be the end of the trips. I am all for letting yourself, Juro Or JimS handle the scheduling. That way there are not to many cooks spoiling the stew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.