Neah Bay Last Weekend - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Neah Bay Last Weekend

I was going through big time coho withdrawel. Had kind of sworn off Neah Bay after 14 days over 6 weeks last year with practically no salmon. But then I started getting antsy. Hadn't fished since Sheridan Lake a month and a half ago. Time to go fishing even if it was tough again.

Started on Friday morning with no real plan and no place to stay. The Airstream was still up on the Sauk and both The Cape and Tyee had no vacancies. The Whaler was up at the farm but had been run a couple of weeks ago so should be ok. Beach reports were good so we could go there. What to do, what to do?

Loaded beach rods and ocean rods, whaders and boots, little flys and big flys, sleeping bag and pad. So I picked up Harry and the Whaler and off we went. Reminded me of the old Paint Your Waggon song "Where am I going? I don't know. When will I get there? I'm not certain. All that I know is I am on my way".

The drive was the same with beautiful trees and empty beaches to remind you of what a great place we live in. Great conversation with an old friend.

We passed up a vacant motel room in Clallam Bay which was probably stupid as the next empty room was probably in Forks. But we got lucky. Got to the Cape and Gordy and Sheri had a room for Saturday night so we only would have to drive to Forks or sleep cold one night. They had turned away about 30 people before us. Then the impossible, somebody checked out a day early. We were set.

Went over to visit Coy and Janice around their campfire and got a bit of a report. (do miss Topwater, sorry you are gone Chris) Umitilla Reef and Swiftsure both were holding fish. Nothing much in close that they knew of. (we saw a few birds and the remnants of a ball-up just off Wadda yesterday but that was it for the whole weekend)

So the next morning we make the 1.5 hour run to Umitilla. Good water though so not a bad trip. Fish were around the 240 foot line so ran out a long way. We don't use sounders so not sure how deep we were when we started to see a little activity. Not much, just a bait fish now and again. Stopped and had a few casts and each got a follow. Changed to a fucia colored fly and started to catch. Big northern coho with kypes on the males. Not huge but 9/10 pounds and hot. Reminded me of the old Sitka days. Fish were spread out with no significant bird activity. One here, one there. So we scratched out a reasonable day with 8 to 10 to hand each. We only had 2 double headers. 3 hatchery fish went for a boat ride. Life is good.

Sunday is rock fish day in less than 20 fathoms by regulation. Got plenty in beautiful conditions. Had to take off jackets and sweats because it was too hot. Got checked by Fish and Game twice. Good to see the enforcement.

So now the boat is on station and the Airstream should arrive on Thursday.

Come on out. The fish are big. Trout Bum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Big northern coho with kypes on the males
Don't even need a picture to see those bad boys in the mind's eye...

thanks for the report
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Great read and report NZ. We are at Boat Haven Marina in PA waiting to head out to Neah Bay. Just waiting for a weather window to head offshore to San Fran. But will spend some time at Neah Bay. Hope we have time to do a little fishing before heading south. At least we hope to find some Coho on the way offshore. But if not we know there are plenty of Tuna and by the millions in our path. If you happen to be out that way this next week look us up and say hi. We are a 44 ft sailing vessel named HANNAH. That goes for anyone else out on the bay.
OC
Old 08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I can see it now...

"SOS We are out of Wasabi"

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Hey OC, Look forward to seeing you, Moonlight said you are off on quite an adventure. We will be on station Thursday night and look for you if not too late. Last weekend was good althouth the coho are still 3 miles plus off shore for the most part. didn't know that they had changed the regs to allow 7 day sallmon so fished rocks yesterday when the weather was finally nice. Lots of fillets though. Will be at the Cape in the first Airstream on the left if anyone wants to visit. TB
Old 08-26-2007, 11:32 PM

hey NZ, sorry we missed you on Thursday. We left Neah Bay at 4 am to head for Westport. If I could have picked up the wifi there and had known you were coming we would have stayed. We had a lousy 27 hour sail down to Westport with heavy fog early on and then the worst lumpy seas I have ever been in. We would have been better off in 40 knots and 25 footers than the six foot slop coming from all directions. Went through the entire Pacific trawler fleet about 2am 36 miles out and over Grays Canyon. We were really tired when we finally got into the marina. caught a couple of Coho on the sail. We also had a lot of whales around us most of the day time sailing. we were playing with the radar alarm and set it for .5 miles and had it go off because a whale came completely out of the water inside the set zone.
Maybe next time.
OC
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Holdout

Heading up on Thursday Morning, If anyones going to be up give me a holler.

-Lost poor realitive of the Simms family fishing fortune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.