Chinook salmon flies? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 11:39 PM
troutbum..

Chinook salmon flies?

I fish the alsea river, and it has a decent salmon run starting right about now and I want to fly fish for them.. I know they are not a heavily saught after flyfishing fish, usually because of their strength, but I still want to give it a shot..

last year with my father after about 3 hours of blind casting and sight fishing to waiting salmon with home brew hairwing salmon flies I actually got a take, and one hell of a run.. lasting about an hour, and ending when the fish got tired of trailing my pathetic 6 wt line and jumped a rock cutting me off.. (go figure) lol.. I think it was like 12 pound tippit, and I was a nubbie.

anyway, suggestions for flies would be awesome I really want to catch and land a chinook.. and be the only person on the river to actually release one.. (needless to say.. meat fisherman every ten feet..)

-Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 02:10 AM
chromedome

Smile

After mainly targeting targeting steelhead over the years, I'm planning on giving chinooks a shot this fall. I did give it a try some years ago and after a dozen trips or so, finally landed a 20 pounder on a two ball tomcat drifted off a float. A short time after this I had another one on but lost it. The pattern is found in one of, or maybe even both of, Rick Kustich's books on salmonids in the great lakes. All it is really is two large glo bugs side by side. I tied it on a #2 hook.

This fall, though, I want to try swinging flies. I'll probably try more realistic rather than attractor patterns and experiment with large clouser minnows. I'll take some guidelines from an Autumn 2005 issue of Fish & Fly which also gives some patterns.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM

Chinook Salmon Flies

Not an expert. BUT

I have used fly fishing equipment for these fish exclusively for many years in the SR. These fish will Hit and take Egg patterns in every color (similar to steelhead flies used on SR) with a weighted tippet for fast water (sinkers). A red or orange peice of yarn wrapped on a hook works. You will be hooking freight trains but a 9-weight with a decent reel does the job. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Pullin' Thread

I have done best with fushia colored flies, especially a fushia bunny leech tied with some hot pink Krystal Flash tied in at the head that is nearly as long as the fly. Hot pink has been another color that has worked for me as has hot orange combined with either hot pink or fushia.

Also, I've found that rather small flies (at least by most people's standards for chinook) of #6 worked best for me in low, clear water. I found a nearly dead drift presentation to be best. And in low, clear water, I do so with a floating line and long leader (13'-16') that has a 12#-13# tippet.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
troutbum..

Im using a 6wt, that i broke about 1 ft off the tip when I was a kiddy.. and just begining.. Its stood up to alot, and it was a cheapy to begin with so if it does break, atleast it will go down with dignaty lol..

Im more worried about my reel.. >.< I might have to actually go out and buy something

so egg patterns work well? any classic salmon flies?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 PM

different kettle of fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimflo.
Im using a 6wt, that i broke about 1 ft off the tip when I was a kiddy.. and just begining.. Its stood up to alot, and it was a cheapy to begin with so if it does break, atleast it will go down with dignaty lol..

Im more worried about my reel.. >.< I might have to actually go out and buy something

so egg patterns work well? any classic salmon flies?
zimflo,

Not to be discouraging, but this is the *Atlantic* salmon forum. Atlantic salmon are, so to speak, quite a different kettle of fish than chinooks. You might get more response if you pursued this topic in the forums "Pacific Northwest Steelhead" or "Great Lakes Steelhead and Salmon".

Best of luck,
Ian
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
troutbum..

thankyou, I just assumed that because I am on the other side of the country from the great lakes, and that salmon are not steelhead.. this would be the closest possible forum to post in. but thanks for helping..

Also, seeing as this is such a low population forum, that Most people probably just click the "last 24hrs" icon at the top of the page, which at that point..It doesnt matter where the hell I post my thread..

but ya, thanks..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.