Landing Big fish in a Kayak - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Landing Big fish in a Kayak

Hi Guys,

I had a very difficult time during the Spring Clave this year handling a very large bass in the kayak. The wind and waves were tossing my around and I couldn't get a good hold of a very large fish to land it in the yak. I didn't want to drop my rod in the yak to get both hands on the fish, I was also concerned that is was so heavy I might roll it if I leaned over too far.

How do you land a 3-4 foot long fish in the waves and wind?

What to do with it after that too, run into shore with it? Stringers?

Thanks,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2007, 12:33 PM

I've been fortunate enough to run into a few large in the yak. If I'm going to keep one I rope it through the gills and bleed it out. Made the mistake of bringing one on board and hammering it in the head, thought it was dead til it poked a few holes in my calf with the dorsal. Bleeding them in the water really helps the quality of the meat.
I really wish they'd go with a slot limit. I let most of the fish go but it's nice to keep one for a cookout now and then. I'd much rather keep the occasional fish that you know isn't going to make it when released than the breeders. Figure there's less crap in the little guys too.

Glad to hear you got into them.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Wanna be striper bum

One idea

Greg,

I have had to good fortune to:

1. Land some moderately large fish in the yak, no monsters though.

2. Pull lots of heavy lobster traps into my yak. I have a 5 trap license and putter around with the traps in the summer.

The key to pulling in the big traps is to use the arm OPPOSITE the side of the kayak that the trap (or fish) is on. So if the striper is on the right side of the yak you keep centered over the yak and pull it up with your left arm. That is your only hope.

I actually stopped yak fishing in the surf. Waves will kill you if a bass pulls you into the surf. But I do yak fish quite a lot in estuaries and protected areas (like upper Pleasant Bay for example...at least before the cut).

Did you land the monster fish?

Mike
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Jim and Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, I definately need more practice dealing with larger fish to get more comfortable with handling them. I was about to get blown into a hazardous area and perhaps rushed myself too much. I ended up grabbing the leader and tried pulling the fishup and forward along the kayak to get a hold of his tail. It was too long! I didn't land him in the Kayak, But had a good close look as the fly got pulled out. It was rather frustrating experience. The wind was howling and it was choppy making it that much harder to deal with the fish.

In retrospect I should probably have pulled him forward using my other hand and put the rod in a holder with some slack in the line. I should not lift it up out of the water as much as the heavy weight made it too easy to pull the hook out. If I could have gotten a hold of his tail with one hand then I would have at least a good hold of it and might have been able to pull him in. I didn't look like it would fit in the foot well area anyway, a rope through the gills and tie him off and drag him in would have worked best probably, I didn't even have a rope for that, I simply wasn't prepared to deal with that big of a fish. It's not a bad problem to have, But it would have been nice to land this one.

Thinking it through alittle further I think I need a boga grip since I couldn't reach the tail and a rope to tie the fish off with. Bringing it in the Kayak with so little available space is probably a bad idea, dorsal fins and sharp teeth depending on the species is no fun to have in your lap.

Live and learn...

Thanks,
Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 05-20-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Local Boob

I use a boga myself.

Once I have the fish clipped, I secure the rod and go from there.

Most of the time I just clip it on, remove the fly and wave good bye (always with bluefish). If I'm looking to have a picture taken I hold the boga with my left, and side my right hand under the belly. The fish will thrash and this will often propel her right into your lap. If not I control with the boga and lift with my right arm.

Just have to be careful fishing around rips and the surfline - in those areas its best to just let it go quickly.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Just to not another difference may the be the sit on top/sit inside deal. The Pungo, I've been using has excellent secondary stability and does not require as much of a lean. I'm not knocking the sot's, there's times I wish for one, just pointing out a difference. Boga sounds like a good solution. FWIW - I usually run 25 or 30lb floro - grab the leader, place the rod in the yak pointing back under my arm or over the shoulder to give some slack and then get the other hand on the mouth.
Hey, if you didn't go swimming I call that a huge success.
Way to Go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.