Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yo Adrian - or any other drift sock user

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 ·
Bought a drift sock for my kayak because it certainly seems like a better way to control presentations especially in a wind.

Just had some rigging questions - how far behind (or to the side) of the kayak is the sock susposed to be 5'? 10'? I have an anchor trolley I was planning on using to secure it, that good enough or do you do anything special?

Thanks

SJ

#2 ·
I usually keep the sock about 8 feet back - too close doesnt really work, too far and its a pain to haul in every time. Your anchor trolley system should work fine.

#4 ·
BUNGEEE CORD...

Great stuff...
Running a 3' to 6' section of bungee into the line is essentially adding on a shock absorber.
A bit of "give" will soften the effects of wind and wave, and make for a more comfy ride...anchors will hold better too! :smile:

#6 ·
Never would have thought to use bungee material...

I think I may just work some into the anchor trolley that way the benefits are there whether I'm using the drift sock or anchor (most of the time I only anchor when I get out of the yak to fish a flat or bar.)

Thanks for the great ideas.

#7 ·
Don't add bungee into the trolley chord:tsk_tsk: it will not work properly. If you want to make it easy on yourself just attach each end of a 3 ft section of bungee to brass snaps. Then attach 1 snap to the anchor trolley ring and the other to 1 of your deck loops. When you want to use the anchor or drift sock just remove the snap off the deck loop and attach it to whatever your going to use. Makes things a lot easier.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.