Another reason to ......... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Another reason to .........

Having huge runs of planted steelheads in the Snake River and its tribs is great for all kinds of bussiness Guiding, Boat Building, Bait sales, Outfitting and lodging. General tourisim a real boon to the economy.
Oh sure there are those that say it may impact the wild stocks but hey this is for the economy we must have an economy after all our economy is riding on having one!
Apparently the Nez Perce are about to get there economy revved up too. The tribe is about to start issuing permits to allow gillnetting in the Snake and its tribs to help harvest the bounty of these plants after all it is essential to harvest up to 80% of the planted run.
Oh well there were getting to be too many wild fish around to justify the continued planting so this will probably be a big plus to the guys who like there hatchery fishes.
I hope they consider something besides gillnetts but I seriously doubt they will. What little Native rebound we have been having is about to run into another wall of monofilament to go along with all the concrete ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been arguing since before I left the PNW that we ought to use fish traps so that selective harvest can be conducted. More and more I hear this same logic coming from others who actually have a voice in these matters.

What is it going to take to enact laws to force live-trapping of fish during harvest times to isolate only hatchery fish while releasing the natives to continue unharmed upriver?

Gillnets aren't the answer.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Gillnets ARE the answer if you're looking for an essentially unregulated fishery.

Live trapping is definitely the answer if you're looking for healthy, self-sustaining runs of varied stocks of fish. Every fish trapped could be typed as to its origin, so harvest criteria could be applied at time of capture. Fish from threatened or endangered stocks could be released back into the river and the harvestable fish could be bonked and sold.

It seems so simple.

Gill netters could form syndicates, I suppose, to build fish traps cooperatively on the lower river. The same with the gillnetting tribes upriver.

For that matter, fish could be harvested easily with dip nets at the fish ladders, and the same harvest/no harvest criteria applied to each fish dipped up.

Too easy to regulate; that's the big drawback.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Pullin' Thread

Hey the Nez Perce are just going to get to excercise their "right" to fish with whatever means they deem necessary, just like the Washington state treaty fishing tribes. Afterall, tribes have always been great defenders of the resource and terrific conservationist; therefore, there is absolutely no reason to worry about this tribe overfishing. We must remember that none of the tribes have ever overfished any run or mixed run, including the Makah tribal fishermen taking of such a large number of mixed stock chinook last winter.

I mean, why should we be upset at the Nez Perce using gill nets in the Snake since we only want to play with our food. The tribe wouldn't overharvest or deplete wild stocks because that would be out of character for the PNW tribes history of never hurting a stock through overharvest.

Just think, now we won't have to worry about having too many fish in river. Therefore, this action by the Nez Perce will prevent the dreaded overuse of spawning habitat and the resultant decrease in the number of fish that make it to the ocean.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 PM

I just hate it when the river is so crowded with fish that I hook one every 10,000th cast or so. Makes it monotonous.

Plus those damn pulls spoil your concentration when you're trying to mend line in a complex current.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
simple solution

Or they could just give the Indians all the excess fish at the hatchery. Then they don't even have to buy nets boats etc. Wouldn't deplete the wild fish at all. But then I know this is just to simple a solution.

Skilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.