Sage RPLXI vs XI2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Sage RPLXI vs XI2

For those that have cast both or are in the know or just have an opinion. What is the casting and fish fighting difference between the Sage xi2 and the older RPLXI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
I have both in 8,9 & 10wts. tough question, but, IMHO, here goes. The RPLXi has a bit softer tip than the Xi2. The Xi2 is a rod that seems to have more feeling during loading. They both have a lot of butt strenth for lifting. If you do a lot of travel the four-piece Xi2 can be stowed in its case in luggage. The RPLXi is generally 3-piece, not conducive to sticking in luggage, unless you can get your hands on the 5-piece.

Both great rods. If price is a factor, you can generally pickup a used, but not abused, RPLXi for about half the cost of the Xi2.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Bauer Pauer

I would agree with Jim. The Xi2 to me is bit faster but other then that they feel the same.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Jonesin...

I third the motion. I had an Rplxi in a 9 that was replaced with an Xi2. Xi2 is a tad faster with more feel. Still loads deeper than say a Loomis GLX or other stiffer rod.

Sean
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 AM

my comment pertained to the XP, not Xi2, so I removed it...

Last edited by josko; 01-09-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Speaking of Xi2

Gentlemen

I have a brand new (never even taken out of the case) Loomis Crosscurrent GLX 9wt that I would like to trade someone for a Sage Xi2 8 wt or 9 wt.

If anyone is interested, pm me and I will send you my phone #. I am in the Boston area. Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
also watch out for the RPLXi 5pc rod. I have a 990-5 that breaks like crazy. Maybe 4 or 5 times now, so i have almost completely quit using it. Only bring it on day trips when i know if anything happens Sage is just down the street.
here it is in action on a nice atlantic
Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 AM

looks like that RPLXi 5pc has a lot of "reserve power in the butt". I like the way the tip (which is only good for casting anyway) folds away so you can really put it to the fish during the fight. The Xi 5pc was really a ground breaking design.

I can only add that the 3PC #11 RPLXi was actually a very good tarpon rod. Soft enough to get a cast off quickly (and in close) and just about unbreakable. A tremendous fish fighter once you trusted it. I like the way the Xi2 casts much better (maybe it is not as strong?), but the Xi was a good rod. Very different.
It is funny, because there seems to be no evolution between the RPLX (a beast), the RPLXi (kinda sweet) and the Xi2 (crisp and sporty). Three different rods.
The other companies coppied the old actions (for good or bad). Winston XTR was very similar to the RPLX and the Scott S3 is (was) similar to the RPLXi. Chasing tails.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

I'm on my second RPLXI 3 pc 9 wt having made the first one a 7 pc rod on a very large albie in '04. Great casting rod, but not the lifting power I have in my other 9 wt- original trident 9 wt. I also have a winston xtr 8 wt which I love, great casting and fish fighting machine. Lastly, bought a 10' 6 wt Scott S3S which is my go-to Landlocked rod- nymphing the big Maine river.- It is a cannon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.