Clear Type 1 Intermediate line - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Clear Type 1 Intermediate line

I am looking for a supple clear intermediate sink line for stillwater fishing in cold mountain lakes. The one I currently have is a SA and I continually have to stretch or fight the coils in my float tube stripping apron.

The more literature I read the more confused I get. I have read and heard mixed results on Cortland's clear camo, SA Stillwater, Royal Wulff, Airflo, etc. I need to buy a couple (my son and I) prior to a spring trip.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I dont have experience with clear lines in very cold water but can suggest using a shooting head with your choice of running line to combat cold coiling. The head is only 30ft long, easy to stretch and handle - but the running line can be your choice .
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-06-2006, 04:43 PM

I've used the clear camo in an eight weight for Great Lakes carp in June (cold water) and I've used Cortlands little tunny which is a very similar formular for Muskie. In both cases the performance was exceptional. I work for Cortland and know that the clear Camo was designed specifically for coled water stillwater trout fishing to remain flexible by Denny Rickards. In this case I have had no exerience with the competition
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM

I can recommend Cortland's clear camo intermediate line for cold-water angling. It's also sinks quite slow, a true intermediate. Some lines labeled as intermediates sink relatively fast and are more like a Type II.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks. I will give the Cortland clear camo a try.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 PM

Airflo makes a clear intermediate fresh water line, if it's half as good as their cold salt clear, it'll be killer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.