Fly casting for your yak. - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 AM

Fly casting for your yak.

So I'm curious, do most of you use your yak for trolling, getting to point A from B or do you fly cast and fish out of the yak. I troll until I see busting fish and then cast to them . Normally this isn't a problem but in the conditions I was in lately it was rather difficult to fly cast and control the yak in confused seas.
Also, in your response please tell in your in a sink or SOT. Thanks FishHawk
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Flats Rat

SOT for me (WS Tarpon 160 old style).

I use the yak for transportation and as a fishing platform. I don't troll very much since I usually have a destination in mind when I get started. If I was fishing a brand new area I probably would since its a good way to cover alot of water and narrow down the search.

If I'm fishing from a drifting yak, I use a drift-sock (sea anchor or drogue). This makes a huge difference, especially for flyfishing. I use the same rig I use to adjust my anchor line. The sock slows down the drfit allowing a good presentation with flies and also helps stabilize the direction of the drift.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Necky Zoar Sport

Fishhawk,

I fly cast from the yak and I don't use a drift sock. However, perhaps mostly because I don't use the sock, I limit fly casting from the yak to generally protected areas (in terms of current and waves).

For example, when I fish the big water of the Piscataqua River there is no time to mess around with fly lines. I hide behind structure (sitting with the yak in the lee of the current) and spin cast into the rips. It can be a little dangerous out there and I need to be able to cut my line if a huge fish pulls me into certain rips (tough to cut off a trophy but even tougher to cut loose a trophy and a fly line!).

My favorite spot to blind cast with flies is in the open Atlantic but on the shore side of a long rocky point that curves out into the Ocean. The point acts like a jetty to slow down my drift and knock down the waves. Then, when I see busting fish (fairly often this time of year) I paddle like hell over to them and fish. The trick for me when I stop to fish is to paddle backwards and away from the fish before the 1st cast. Otherwise I am still drifting into the fish when I strip and I furiously watch bass eat my fly but cannot connect!

I also fish in Hampton Harbor (NH) but in that case I usually beach the yak on a sandbar and fish from the bar. But when I blind cast from the yak in the harbor it is fun and very doable. I don't mind fishing in current but confused seas are a pain in the butt.

That is just my experience. And I like my SINK!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 AM

Both good tips. Mike I never thought of paddling backwards , sounds like that is the answer. Your right about cutting the line if your headed for trouble. I was in situation where the seas were confused and it was kinda of tricky to handle the yak and cast at the same time. The rush of busting fish makes you forget that your in a yak. Things change rather quickly out there and I had to leave busting fish to get back in . I also have a sink. FishHawk
Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Fly chucker

I have a Tarpon 140 SOT, and with the exception of the drift sock you can pretty much ditto what Adrian said for me too.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Local Boob

I have a SOT. One tactic I like is to sit side saddle with your legs dangling in the water. This creates some drag and slows you down a bit. Then the presentation is to cast "upstream" let the fly sink till you are about parallel to it and start the retrieve. I have also used a drag anchor (just a length of chain) but found it to be only useful when you have a long drift to make otherwise its a pain.

Adrian,

How does the drift sock work in a heavy current? I was under the impression that it was a tool for slowing you down if the wind is pushing you. How big of a sock do you use?

Thanks

SJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.