BFT News - Fly Fishing Forum
Bluewater Extreme Test the limits of the fly fishing domain

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

BFT News

http://www.nmfspermits.com/news.asp

Aug 25th right around the corner...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Mmmmm.....sushi
Old 08-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Big Dave -

I was pleasantly surprised to see that studies show BFT to be fairly hardy after release. Of course I am not sure the methods they used and whether the size samples coincide but when I see all those bloody lift and grin photos I worried about the mortality of juveniles between these sensible kill seasons.

The pinger tests show that they hang in there after careful handling, superficial hooking and rapid fighting.

Not sure how well they survive after the light tackle battle, if they fall prey to sharks or die of exhaustion it might make more sense to have only a kill season shut it down the rest of the time for angling. Not enough evidence to support one or the other it seems.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Juro I hope those tests are right but my experience is they will fight to the death UNLESS you really put the wood to them when it's time to go vertical.

We try to keep our drags screwed down at all times. This way the fish hook themselves when they hit the reel and the heavy drag wears them down fast on the inital run. Less lifting/better release/more time to go catch some more.

I wonder how many people fishing for them actually have a federal permit. We have seen so many guys pull up and say "are those bonito?" while they are casting into them.

I got pretty ripped last saturday watching a charter captain gaff a fish at boatside for his sports.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:00 PM
LBFF Mojo

Which study was this? The one I saw was 28% for J hooks and 4% for circles. The study actually indicated fishing bait was probably a better choise for c'n'r based on circle hooks. This was based just on hook damage and not the length of the fight which for most people I see fighting fish it is bound to be up over 30%. Anglers like Dave are probably in the minority when it comes to really fighting fish properly.

I know albie mortlity is really high as well. Higher than BFT. Would also like to see them kept in the water at all times if one is planning to release them.

-sean
Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Sean I was referring to the one by MA Department of Marine Fisheries Scientist Gregory Skomal, also some NOAA based reports based on transmitters.

However it seems they used big fishing gear which to your point is very different and also seemed to be tracking larger fish.

BigDave I'd heard they fight to the death from a lot of folks if so then targeting them in a no-kill season seems unsportsmanlike at the very least if not crying for better regulations.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
I know albie mortlity is really high as well. Higher than BFT. Would also like to see them kept in the water at all times if one is planning to release them.

-sean
Sean,

How many albies or baby tuna have you caught? Not trying to start a pissing match but in my experience keeping them in the water would probably do more harm than good. I asked around from guys with a lot of experience this winter and they seemed to feel the same. The fact is you need to know how to fight these fish per Dave's point. The techniques for any tunoid are pretty similar in my opinion. Tight drag, let them make the first run and as soon as they stop get on em. When they go vertical trap the line in between your fingers to prevent drag slip and do your best to point the rod at them to get maximum lift. But you need to get the hook out and on the Albies and baby bluefin that is much easier done in the boat IMO. If fishing from shore even more difficult. Angler safety has to come before the fish and the locations we generally fish for them are way to dangerous to try and perform an in the water release. I generally use 20lb fluro these days and can put these fish in the boat in pretty short order. Very few have not looked energetic upon release. Yes you will always get a few that suck in the fly and get hooked deeper than you would like. I have to admit I have not given the circle hooks a try. I will on the albies this year to get a feel for them. I do use SC15s which are a bit of a hybrid and tend to get good hooksets in the corner of the mouth.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.