Bahamas Trip - Alone - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Bahamas Trip - Alone

Hello, I am planning next years trip to Andros and will be required to go it alone. Has anyone ever taken a bonefish trip alone on Andros? Been there and never had any problems, but always traveled in a group. My fishing partner is no longer able to travel and other than a hosted trip, I do not know any other way other than a solo trip. I see many advantages with this proposed plan. I would be staying at a well known lodge. Other than excess costs, what should be the considerations? I have never had any calls of concern while there. Your thoughts and experiences appreciated. Thanks, Trav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM

I don't really understand what you're worried about. Personal safety - no reason for concern. Sharing a guided skiff with an unknown - well, maybe an issue. Look into single angler guided rates or, if you feel up to it, just ask to get dropped off in the morning and picked up in the p.m. Feeling ostracized/alone at a lodge - it's really up to you.
If you can let us know specifically what you're concerned about, it would provide something to go on. Ill be down there, alone, most of May.
BTW, you can do a lot better than a solo lodge trip on Andros. Let us know if you are interested in looking at alternatives.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Josko, thanks for response. You asked for my concerns - I really don't have any - just asking for comments that anyone may have based on their experiences. Personal safety - not a real concern. Ostracized/alone at a lodge - no problem - I am a sales rep and travel alone and can get along with most anyone. Sharing a skiff - alone with a guide sounds great. Happily married - not looking to hook up. Just want to have a great bonefish experience. Again, just wanting to hear from someone who has had this exeperience or someone like me who is considering a trip like this... Trav

Last edited by traveller2926; 04-26-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I enjoy fishing alone as much as I enjoy fishing with others. There is a certain intensity about it.

In this case I would think the lodge would put you into a group (?) or if you are not going with a lodge you might consider another island where you can rent a car and explore without a heavy guide presence. Exuma would be out. Maybe Eleuthera or Grand Bahama for convenience?

As Josko alluded to, there are many adventurous types (like Josko himself) and we do impromptu trips to great locations like Acklins Island. If you are up for an adventure you can join in on one of these trips if you wish.

Sorry to hear your fishing partner is not able to accompany you any longer.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM

I enjoy triping on my own. The first trip I made to the Bahamas was to Acklins the fall after 9/11 and I went solo. I stayed at a lodge but spent 3 days guided and 3 days fishing on my own. Those are great memories being out on flats all day long and not seeing another person. Its a wild setting and you feel small at times but its very rewarding.
I have been back to an out island every year since then but not on my on my own. Not because I don't want to but the costs are about half when you double up at most places.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 PM
resigned

Traveler,

Go back in this section to page seven and read the January Fly of The Month threads. I did a story there that you will enjoy. "Andros on a Budget" Pm me if you need info. Fresh Creek is a great middle point on the North Island if that's where you are staying.

Phil
Old 05-06-2006, 12:12 AM

I Digg fishing alone, and as Juro said just as much as fishing with others, somehow one hook bigger and more fish when fishing alone, and you can shout and curse without looking like an idiot when loosing a fish !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.