Dusk Tarpon fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 AM

Dusk Tarpon fly

I need some recomendations for some flies to use on Tarpon that are feeding activly right at dusk on schooling baitfish.

Norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I doubt tarpon on the feed are going to be too particular about the fly pattern but the general profile should suggest what they are after and it should be tied on a hook that has a chance of holding them (see recent thread).

If it were me I would tie black cockroaches for tradition, black page's bigeye baitfish, black deceivers, large shrimp patterns, half and halfs, etc on high-end hooks like the Tiemco tarpon hook and/or the Gami tarpon hooks.

Good luck and hold on tight!

BTW - where are you located and what type of situation are you fishing... a lighted dock? Lagoon? Channel? Beach?

Are you fishing from shore?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 AM

I am fishing from shore in a cove inside a barrier reef with a sandy beach. These fish become active right at dusk. My freind has caught them with Rapalas on spinning gear. I have yet to go after them with a fly. Generally, the conditions have to be right with the schooling baitfish and the tell tale Pelicans. One day they are there, the wind swings, the currents change around for a day or two and they are gone. Typical! Got to hit it just right.

Norm

Last edited by viflyer; 04-24-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ahh fishing tarpon like a man!

Sounds great. I see that St Croix has several lagoons - two small but interesting ones on the shore side of the airport, very fishy. Also the great pond and the west pond not to mention some very good looking coves on the north side etc.

Have you investigated these lagoons and great salt ponds?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 AM

I have been here about thirty years. Worked as a Marine ecologist for the Government for too long. I know every cove and Lagoon on the island. St. Croix is a very heavily impacted island in terms of our fish populations and the environmental condition of our waters. Bonefish that were here in large numbers back in the 50's are non exsistant. Our inshore reefs have been stripped of fish. The situation is grim. Run-off from development has filled our salt ponds and lagoons. The largest salt water Lagoon ( Kraus Lagoon ) and marine nursery in the Virgin Islands was completely destroyed back in the sixties to build a giant oil refinery ( Hess Oil). Like most places the people had no thought about the future and greed decided the environmental fate of this island. So American!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 PM

Hey Flier,
You know a lot more about those tarpon than I do. I think you are fishing around the corner from gallows bay, at the entrance to Altoona Lagoon. if so, I know that the lagoon itself has one of the only shrimp populations (thats what all the peurto-rican guys are after with the nets). Also, the lagoon holds some baby tarpon. I think any huge shrimp imitation would be a good bet, as tarpon everywhere else love them. Also, i know that a lot of them hang out around the point under shade of the marina piers during the day, waiting for the fishermen to come in and clean fish. I dont know what good that information may be, other than that they may be suckers for big, dead looking imitations of sprat or whatever else looks easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.