clear int. lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2001, 10:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
clear int. lines

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a clear line. can anyone give me recomendations on the best,worst, etc... Thanks, Tom D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2001, 01:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:clear int. lines

I haven't tried all of them but went with the 444 Cortland clear line because it takes a nail knot unlike some. Although it's not a major deal to use a loop, I prefer the nail knot because it goes thru the guides easier, is harder to see on the flats than a loop (which is why we use a clear line in the first place) and is an easy field repair. It casts very comfortably and is durable. Although I haven't been the biggest fan of another Cortland line (QD) the clear intermediate really performed well and I expect more seasons out of it.
Old 02-11-2001, 01:18 AM

I have the Sci Angler. It is pretty good though it gets a little limp in shallow water in the summer. I have heard really good things about the Air flow too. My favority is the semi clear Rio Striper Int. It is a light grey to clear line. Casts much better then any clear I've ever used.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:07 AM
Middle Aged Member

Tom,
I have the Cortland 440SL clear. I think the first time I used was that day we were over on Monomoy. Took a little getting used to after using the Saltwater 444SL - more false casting (keep in mind I'm new to this stuff). The clear is the rocket taper as opposed to the more aggressive saltwater taper. I believe I saw somewhere that the clear 444SL is now available in the saltwater taper.

Anyhow, I like the line, but would probably prefer the sh2o taper.

Regards,
Fred A.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

To Fred's point, I have been using the Saltwater "Big Game" taper in the clear 444.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.