Lets talk safety... - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Jonesin...

Lets talk safety...

As the summer progressed last year I started venturing further and further offshore and came to the realization that the basic coast guard safety gear was not nearly enough. I started to assemble a ditch bag that I hope I never need but know I will glad to have if things go south. Below are the items I currently have in the bag and some new items I will be adding this season. What's in your ditch bag and what else do you do to make sure you are as safe as you can be out there?

Currently in the bag (ACR Rapid Ditch Express) :

Handheld VHF
Handheld GPS
Marine Flares
CDs for daytime signalling
Air Horn
Whistle
First Aid Kit
Bottled Water
Power Bars
Extra Batteries for VHF and GPS

On the way for this year:

ACR Aqufix PLB with built in GPS (This is a great unit as you can take it with you on other boats as it is registered to you not the boat)
ACR Firefly Plus Stroblight
ACR Firefly 2 Stroblight
Blunt Tip Safety Knife

I also have life jackets right next to the bag under the leaning post that can be grabbed within seconds if things are going bad in a hurry.

For myself I got Sospenders for those trips when I am out alone and plan on wearing the PLB in that instance.

What am I missing?

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sean, I definitely feel comfortable in your vessel bro.

Of course you have a first aid kit, but I have recently committed to keeping an up to date Epi-pen within easy reach from now on. I actually bought the two-pen set, one in the chest pack and the other in the first aid kit which is in the truck most of the time.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Jonesin...

Juro,

I also just completed CPR training but there was no mention of using an Epi-Pen. What situation do you envision needing it in? Are there risks associated with it. I should mention I am also planning on getting a barrier device to keep on the boat for administering CPR safety breaths as well.

Sean
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM

I could use a CPR refresher, I can't recall the recommended breaths / pulses per minute for each age group anymore.

An epi-pen injects antihistamines into the blood stream to halt an allergic reaction in just seconds. Pills take about 15 minutes, which is too long when air passages are constricted by histamine reaction. Food allergies, bee stings, even some fish spines cause allergic reactions. It's important to note that an epi-pen acts in seconds but does not last so either some pills need to follow it up or the fishing day should be ended on treatment so the histamine reaction can not recur while far from medical help.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Jonesin...

This was my first course but I understand some of the thinking has changed. They no longer require that you check for a pulse but simply look for signs of response and open an airway and check for breathing. First thing for an adult is to dial 911 if alone or send someone if available. If there are no signs of breathing you give two rescue breaths and then begin CPR at a ratio of 15 compressions to 2 breaths. For a you perform 1 min of CPR before calling 911 if alone. The ratio is 5-1.

Sean
Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcdermott
If there are no signs of breathing you give two rescue breaths and then begin CPR at a ratio of 15 compressions to 2 breaths. For a you perform 1 min of CPR before calling 911 if alone. The ratio is 5-1.

Sean
could you clarify that a little? I will make it a point to remember this time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.