Fly Shop Attitude - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 04:59 PM

Fly Shop Attitude

[rant]

I really don't get this constant phenomenon.

A friend from work is jazzed to get into fly fishing this year. He brought in his reel into one of the last "good" local shops in the area to buy some fly line and have them put it on. My friend doesn't know the lingo yet didn't know exactly what type of line to get and got a grumpy "well, you are going to have to do better than that."

Seriously. The wording my friend used was complete noob speak too. Bells and whistles should have gone off in that shop employee's head to be extra helpful and friendly.

A return customer was instantly lost. He was going to stock his fly box up,get tippet and the other bells and whistles too but just had them do the line due to the rudeness. He has no plans to go back unless he is desperate.

I recommended the shop so now I doubt I'll go there anymore either. These places just don't get it that customer service is ALL they have going for them these days. When this is not offered then there is NO REASON not to go online or go to Dick's, Sportman's Warehouse,Cabellas ect.

[/rant]

Last edited by griz; 03-04-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz
These places just don't get it that customer service is ALL they have going for them these days. When then is not offered then there is NO REASON not to go online or go to Dick's, Sportman's Warehouse,Cabellas ect.
That's exactly right. Why more shops don't understand that is beyond me. The ONLY reason to patronize a small shop is the service. If that is lacking then that's a shop that's not long for this world. And, rightfully so.

The large shops, and big box chains, generally have better selection and lower pricing. Most up-to-date local fisheries information is available online these days. There are lots of books, magazines, DVDs and the like to learn rigging and techniques. Fly fishing clubs and online boards fill the social gap of not gathering in or around a shop. Service really is all that small shops have as an advantage these days.

Sorry to hear your friend had such a bad experience. Hopefully that incident doesn't discourage him from the sport. But you might want to remind him that shops are frequently staffed by folks whose egos seem to ignore the fact that they are working for just slightly more than minimum wage. Not taking many of them as seriously as they take themselves is a healthy approach. It's fly fishing; not surgery.

If the problem wasn't with the owner of the shop, you might either give him/her a call or write them a letter letting them know about the problem. My guess is a change in staff might be the result--to the betterment of that shop and the sport as a whole.

Good shops, with qualified and friendly staffs, are awesome. But it only takes one or two experiences with the bad ones to really give the whole system a black eye. With all the other options, small shops need positive public relations stories more than ever.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantK
shops are frequently staffed by folks whose egos seem to ignore the fact that they are working for just slightly more than minimum wage. Not taking many of them as seriously as they take themselves is a healthy approach. It's fly fishing; not surgery.

that's exactly what I told my friend ...egotistical, cash register jockeys.

and all of this talk about fly line just reminded me to order some new floating line off of cabela's site...

Last edited by griz; 03-04-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

i run a fly shop and i couldn't agree more. well except for the cabela's purchase . service is pretty much what we do have to offer. it is a very competitive business and we gain a ton of business every year by being nice to everyone, period. you just never know who you are talking to either. i have been amazed to find out who i just spent an hour with picking out wading boots when handed a credit card. millionaires look just like the rest of us on their days off.
as mentioned please tell your friend that shops are not all like that. hopefully there is another shop in the area to try.

"shops are frequently staffed by folks whose egos seem to ignore the fact that they are working for just slightly more than minimum wage."

Grant, this is a great quote i may just use it for my signature
Old 03-04-2006, 11:03 PM

Back about five or more years ago, some good friends gave me a gift certificate from a local fly shop.

I was guiding at the time, and thought I'd use the cert to bolster my arsenal of flies, so I wandered in and picked up an assortment of bugs that I was just getting too blind and too impatient to tie myself -- #20 Griffith Gnats, #18 and #16 Parachute Adams, some tiny Pale Evening Duns, you get the picture.

So, after selecting a goodly number of these things, I went to the counter with my certificate. It was early in the season, late May or June, but I didn't think anything about that as I stood there by the cash register. A clerk came over and looked at my flies. "Where are you fishing?" he asked. "Deschutes", I replied.

"Well, you certainly don't want these things. They're on salmon flies now." He didn't wait for an explanation, but went straight to the fly bins and started picking out Madame X's and similar birds.

I waited for him until he was through, then handed him my original assortment. He snorted like I was crazy, and took my certificate, and rang up the sale. His body language indicated I'd insulted him grievously. Since I didn't use up all my credit, he gave me a chit for the balance, handing it over with a palable sneer.

I vowed never to return, balance or not.

Recently, I had occasion to go into the same shop. I specifically needed a tip top for a rod and figured they couldn't attack me very successfully over that, and I was too pressed for time to go anywhere else.

The clerk couldn't have been nicer. For a $2.00 sale, he took me into the back of the shop, sorted through a dozen or more tip tops before he found the right fit, glued the thing on my rod tip, and made pleasant conversation throughout.

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised.

I've been back several more times, and each time have been treated very well. I do not hesitate to recommend this shop to any and all while before the rod tip business, I denigrated the place at every opportunity.

The leopard can change its spots. If you've had a bad experience with a shop, give them a bit of time and then try them again. You may be glad you did.

-- Eric
Old 03-05-2006, 12:59 AM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK FRANCIS
i run a fly shop and i couldn't agree more. well except for the cabela's purchase . service is pretty much what we do have to offer. it is a very competitive business and we gain a ton of business every year by being nice to everyone, period. you just never know who you are talking to either. i have been amazed to find out who i just spent an hour with picking out wading boots when handed a credit card. millionaires look just like the rest of us on their days off.
as mentioned please tell your friend that shops are not all like that. hopefully there is another shop in the area to try.

"shops are frequently staffed by folks whose egos seem to ignore the fact that they are working for just slightly more than minimum wage."

Grant, this is a great quote i may just use it for my signature
As a customer of Nick's (black frances) OOFS fly shop I can tell you I always give them first crack at supplying my needs. I can't count the ways he and his staff have been helpful to me. They make you feel like you're more than a customer and the expertise they're willing to share is second to none.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:52 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

"The clerk couldn't have been nicer. For a $2.00 sale, he took me into the back of the shop, sorted through a dozen or more tip tops before he found the right fit, glued the thing on my rod tip, and made pleasant conversation throughout. "-Eric

Eric- was this the same clerk that had dissed you earlier on your selection of flies, or had they fired that bozzo and hired someone new? I'm fortunate to live within walking distance of one of our sponsors (Fishing the Cape), who are always very helpful and friendly. Always look forward to my visits to them, although I must admit my "kid in a candy store" spending habits sometimes get the better of my need to be a bit more frugal
Flydoc
Old 03-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
[rant]

I really don't get this constant phenomenon. [/rant]
Hi Griz

My experiences have been that while I might occasionally experience a little snobbery, the vast majority of shops I visit around the country are like dropping in on old buddies even though we'd never met before.

I think it boils down to individuals and the philosophy of the store. In my days in the fly shop frankly I liked helping the newbies most - they appreciate what you do for them the most and give you less trouble
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 AM

Reading this post gives me 2 thoughts:
1. Sometimes, people are just having a bad day......in life, I like to go by the trend vs single occurance rule.....ie. give the person a second try....if the attitude is the same, it's a trend and I take my business elsewhere
2. for fly shop owners.....I will share how I felt 5 years ago entering a fly shop for the 1st time when I was a newbie and thought that a "butt section" was my behind.
I was all hopped up about retiring and doing something I always had an interest in, but not a clue to go about it. I was relunctant to go into a shop and display my ignorance.....I knew that I needed stuff...but what....what was good...what did I really need.....patience was the key, especially in answering questions that were so elementary as I look back now.....everyone starts at the beginning.....what is "old" for the owner is new to someone....don't kill the excitement and earn a customer for life.
Ron
Old 03-05-2006, 07:17 AM

What happens is that the clerk is constantly being asked the same questions over and over again. It goes with the job. I was told by a clerk once that you see guys come into the shop, want to know what is hatching and buy nothing. Ever notice when you buy something at a shop the information flows. That's why some shops have a blackboard outside the shop with the hatches written on it.
I had a chance to work partime in a fly shop but decided it wasn't for me.
It's a service business it that simple. On top of that the clerk has to work on the weekend when everyone is fishing. Just my observations. FishHawk
Old 03-05-2006, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up

Griz,
I don't know which of the local shops you sent your friend to, but I would recommend sending him to Charlies Fly Box in Arvada. I think it is the best shop in the Denver metro area by far. I have never been in a shop that is so willing to listen to what you are looking for and either show you where it is or tell you how long it will take them to get it for you. That kind of service is not something you will ever get at any of the catalog sites or big box locations.
Best
John
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The only fly shop that I really ever visit is the Bear's Den and if Scott or anybody else there ever gave me any attitude I think my jaw would probably hit the floor. Nicest people you can imagine and will go above and beyond for a 50 cent sale.

The only other place I ever really get fly fishing stuff is when I'm passing through Portland ME, I'll stop at LL Bean. They're always very friendly and helpful too.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:45 PM

What an obnoxious sentiment. Kind of like this one in the back of every shop guys mind:

"Some customers are wanna be Donald Trump jerks that ignore the fact that if they pulled that stick out of their a@#, someone might give a s*&#. They are usually the ones that think that their money is bettter than everyone elses. They rapp their knuckles on the counter and sigh and huff as the lone clerk tries to spool up three reels, help out with a fly selection, take in a rod repair, show a new flyfisher how to tie an improved clinch knot and find a pair of size 11 guide boots. When it comes time to pay, they are ALWAYS the ones that press for a discount and some free stuff."

"Hey, give me a free fly line. I just spent a lot of money here."
"Sir, with all due respect, you don't know what "a lot of money" is (I thought you were The Donald?)."

Catch anyone at a bad time, and you might get some atttitude. Give a little atttitude, and what do you expect? It's too bad, because most people get great service and love their local flyshop. But some people will never be happy, and seem to like crapping on shop guys more than they like to fish. They are the one's that wouldn't recognize a good shop if it fell on their head.

I agree that it's all about service, and the good shops give that in spades. I feel bad for people that don't have a good shop close by.

I wanted to add: This sentiment is not directed at anyone on the FlyFishingForum. I am sure that GK was kidding around...http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ilies/hihi.gif

Last edited by Eddie; 03-05-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
[rant]

I really don't get this constant phenomenon.

A friend from work is jazzed to get into fly fishing this year. He brought in his reel into one of the last "good" local shops in the area to buy some fly line and have them put it on. My friend doesn't know the lingo yet didn't know exactly what type of line to get and got a grumpy "well, you are going to have to do better than that."

Seriously. The wording my friend used was complete noob speak too. Bells and whistles should have gone off in that shop employee's head to be extra helpful and friendly.

A return customer was instantly lost. He was going to stock his fly box up,get tippet and the other bells and whistles too but just had them do the line due to the rudeness. He has no plans to go back unless he is desperate.

I recommended the shop so now I doubt I'll go there anymore either. These places just don't get it that customer service is ALL they have going for them these days. When this is not offered then there is NO REASON not to go online or go to Dick's, Sportman's Warehouse,Cabellas ect.

[/rant]
Exactly. My local shop is in need of some customer Relations help as well. Over the past two years or so I have finally broken thruogh the ICE at our shop and now get treated well. I have spent so much money at the big retail stores and online, that shopping local is almost a thing of the past. Sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.