New to Spey/Two Handed - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM

New to Spey/Two Handed

Just bought my first spey rod- Scott 11' 9" 6 ARC ( on ebay) for use on the Penobscot, Kennebec and anywhere else it will work. I have basically never cast these rods beyond lawn casting at a show. What's the best way to get started? Can I lawn or snow cast- what's the best video or book? I would like to be proficient enough to give it an early season try on some landlock rivers up here in the woods of Maine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

First, match it up with a line that suits the pursuits. In this case I would guess that you are looking for a floating line possibly with exchangeable sink tips. I don't know the grain range for that rod but you would either look it up on the Rio line chart (sponsor: www.rioproducts.com) or contact Scott rods directly (google).

Then I would suggest a few options -

- take private casting lessons from a certified instructor
- join a group class from a capable instructor
- study videos

in all cases practice, practice, practice.

In your area, Topher Browne is the key resource you might contact in Maine. He is a pro over at Bean's school. I am FFF certified and reside in the Boston area.

For video, I suggest Simon Gawesworth's new Spey video (3 dvd set). He suggests a few others on the DVD that you might consider, if necessary.

Once you get the basics there will be plenty for you to work on. I think your goal of working landlocks this spring is achievable and you should definitely go for it!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks Juro- The Orvis website was selling their "Short Head" floaters for $19.99, so I bought a 6 and a 7. Probably match up with a Battnekill mid-arbor and start practicing. Our season opens April 1 and I am itching to get up to Grand Lake Stream and see what I can do at the dam pool with it. After two full seasons up here, I can see the utility of spey or two-handed as there are places we just can reach with conventional roads and the rivers are largely unwadeable in those spots. I went with the light rod as most of the fish I will be chasing will be 20" or less. Looks like you guys had a great time on Acklins, I got back from Eleuthera last week and I'm hooked. I actually didn't fish as much as I thought I would just because I was having so much fun cruising around the island. I'll be back there or somewhere in that neighborhood next year, no question. See you on Monomoy this summer maybe. I fish out there with a friend as much as I can. Black 19' Cape Codder.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:29 PM

I have that rod, and fish it with a 7wt. steelhead taper.
LL.Bean will be having a Spey demonstration @ their flyfishing fair (coming up, I forget when). I suspect that Topher Browne will be giving the demo, and he is very helpful. I would definitely consider taking a private lesson with either Juro or Topher. This will allow you to take full advantage of the begining of the season.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks Eddie. I think that is this weekend, so I'll miss it. I need to get down to see Mike Holt and he'll "hook" me up.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey titleguy -

Definitely let's hook up this season on Monomoy! Acklins is amazing. I will pick your brain on Eleuthera then.

As a side note, most rods that match up with the 7wt SA steelhead taper like the Rio 5/6 windcutter too and it comes with tips optionally.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.