Fly Fishing around playa del carmen - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 09:02 PM

Fly Fishing around playa del carmen

I'm planning a trip to playa del carmen in may and would like to know about fishing in the area. Is is better to fish cozumel or ascesion bay. Has any one fished both or either. Looking for help and directions. Do you need or have to have a guide in cozumel. Is there any fly fishing to be done in playa del carmen. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome to the forum!

I recently got great advice from profata and tarponbum in threads like this one:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...t=playa+carmen

I recommend doing a search (Click HERE) with keywords like paya del carmen for more info.

BTW I will likely be exploring the area for it's bonfishing as well next year so will be reading the responses with anticipation.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Jonesin...

I will also be fishing Cozumel in May. I booked a day with Alex Euan. It is my understanding that there is really no access to the northern flats there without a boat and Alex has had good feedback on a number of forums. I'll be sure to post a report when I get back. I haven't researched the other surrounding areas since I will be there for a wedding and partying the rest of the week .

Sean
Old 01-17-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm booking a trip with Alex also. From what I can tell he is the best in the area. Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:56 AM

I fished Playa Del Carmen a few years ago, but in the Fall. In May you will be into prime Marlin season if you choose to go deep water. We were using traditional spin gear not Fly Rods. I did use my Fly Rod on Baracuda. You can get into some huge fish at times. I was staying in Cozumel when I was there and had no idea of the Bonefish Flats they had. Maybe next time.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:42 PM

cozumel fishing

I fished with Alex two years ago in April. He is an excellent guide and I found the fishing very enjoyable. There are ocean side flats, mangove lined creeks and more open flats, all with typical Mexican bones (2-4 pounds). I stayed in Playa Del Carmen and took the ferry early in the morning, and was met by Alex. I have also fish Boca Paila, and the only real difference is the length of rutted road, and size of fishable waters, both of which are much larger/longer in Boca Paila.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG  mexico bone0001.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	5284  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.