Great eateries near great fisheries - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great eateries near great fisheries

Charlie mentioned something that set off a favorite subject of mine... fine dining establishments associated with great fishing!

Let's hear them...

I'll start with the Chatham Squire on Main in Chatham, a two-handed cast from the famed Big Girl Bar and Monomoy Refuge, Nauset and Chatham Inlet. Get a little softshell clam on your butter and wash it down with great local buzzards bay brew...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Juro, I am all over this one. The A-Bar on the banks of Henry's Fork of the Snake River for burgers and beers. Sir Scotts Oasis in Manhattan MT for some of the best aged steaks around.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Middle Aged Member

I've got 3 breakfast venues to choose from when the tide goes slack at my bayside spot. Grumpy's for stick to you ribs portions, the Marshside for a tad more effete fare and the Cafe at Northside Marina on Sesuit Harbor.

But nothin beats a fine lunch of the canned cornbeef or spam at the Lil' General in Lovely Bay, Acklins. Only heaven is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	113_1319 (Custom).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5239  

Last edited by FredA; 01-05-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Pencil me in.....

No Spam served at this Middleside Location

The Back Eddy...Westport Harbor

A prime Grand Slam Location
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chris aubut July 5th 011 (Custom).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	5241  

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-05-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Pencil me in.....

And if you prefer going over to the Darkside of fishing once in a while there is always Leo's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canal June 2004 006 (Custom).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	5242  

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-05-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Flats Rat

After a day chasing Atlantics on the infamous Ridge Pool of the Moy in Ballina Co. Mayo, Cafolla's Restaurant "up the street" (about 3 mins. walk from the river) used to be the best spot on the planet for a heavy cholesterol fix (a.k.a. real man's mixed grille ) They didn't have a liquor licence but the waitresses would go across the street to pick you up a pint to wash it down
Old 01-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Fly chucker

Let's see...

There's Pat's Country Kitchen in Old Saybrook, which is a neat place to chow down after chasing sunrise stripers on the CT coast.

Then there's the Spurwink Restaurnant in Cape Elizabeth / Scarborough Maine....great food before or after fishing.

And finally there's a great little place in Pulaski that I've hit the past few years after spending the day chasing pike on Lake Ontario. I can't remember the name, but it has great pastas, sandwiches, and the like all available for sit-down eating. Cleats allowed for river anglers, too.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 PM

Boy you guys know some good places to eat and drink!

Chatham Squires a beer and a good single malt what could be better except the great company of stripa fishermen one goes there with.

Brad mentioned the A Bar on the Henery's Fork. I used to eat there every weekend and then fight as many yuppi fly fishermen as would take me on. What a treat that was.

Charlie mentioned Chico Hot Springs my old stomping ground when I lived on old Pete Story's ranch near Emigrant, MT. My wife back then was a good livingston, MT. cowgirl and head waitress there. She was part of the Jimmy Buffett song "Livingston Saturday Night"/ " Rancho Delux" crowd. We ate well after hours at Chico Hot Springs as the owner Mike Art took care of his employees very well indeed. The restraunt Bar would be closed off, food, good drink and other less leagle stuff would be served in great proportions. One never knew who would be eating with you be it the Govenor, movie stars or old and colorful sheep herders dragged out of the back country given a good meal and drink in exchange for the very best of Montana history stories and folk lore. Sometimes those old herders would just start playing their Bango, sweet Montana mountain Blue grass music. It was a time when some waitress could negotiate extra income by giving confort to the politically powerful and the rich and famous. I can only wonder if it still is the same. What do you know Charlie is it still like that? There were nights where we go thru the entire night there then stumble down to the Yellowstone River or one of the spring creeks for a serious morning of fly fishing. Those were great days but ones that had to eventually be given up on or else you were going to crash and burn real hard.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Sandi's Diner on Main Street in Chatham for breakfast. Better than Larry's PX. They open around 5:30 am. not to far from the Big Girl Bar. FishHawk
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Heading south the Islamorada Fish Company sure provided the right dockside ambiance to a bonefisher in sandals and flats attire, stone crab with conch chowder, yellowtail snapper and a key lime pie slice. However the options from there to Key West were so plentiful that perhaps a more knowledgeable party could point some hidden secrets along old route 1... but I am pretty sure the public access spots with nice flats will not be listed
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM

More cape:

South Chatham Village Variety for subs.

Wellfleet: Beachcomer for raw bar, adult bevs and 'sightseeing'

Harwich: 400 club especially the belly clams
Old 01-06-2006, 03:26 PM

To the far corner, PNW - breakfast at Tootsie's place at the 'bunny farm' right across the street from the Chapel Run on the magnificent Skagit river nestled in the North Cascade mountains in Washington state. If you're lucky, she might even wish you luck and if she does you'd better have the drag set right.

photo courtesy of Andre Lorenz
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 AM

I like the Agawam Diner after a morning of fishing at Pavillion Beach in Ipswich,Ma
Great Breakfast's served all day.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 PM

Gibsons at Landrail Point, Crooked Island, Bahamas.
Willie serves those favorite Bahamian dishes of chicken, conch, grouper and lobster in a homestyle setting and fixed the way it should be. She makes you feel right at home so that you look foward to returning for more than just the food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.