fly- fishing in Ghana(?) - Africa - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 07:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to skeg Send a message via Yahoo to skeg
fly- fishing in Ghana(?) - Africa

Hi, I'm new on this forum, and I frequently check the speyclave-board, and it is a great source of information...
While I'm going to travel to Ghana - West-Africa in January, I just cannot go without my rods, for sure.
I heard some infos about the Lake- and river- Volta, which holds tigerfish, tilapia and nile-perch. The Volta estuary seems to have barracuda and perch in it.
I already started tying streamers, and Co...but It would be great to have some additional infos about the region. The coastline is also interesting, but I am absolutely "green" in SW fishing.
I am planning to bring a shooting head setup with my T&T DH1212, a #9, and an #8 rod with intermediate, and sinking lines.

...some suggestions?

thanks, Peter
Old 12-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds exciting! I haven't any direct African SWFF experience but have some suggestions anyway:

- stripping basket might help, we use them regularly here to hold the running line out of harms way when wading or when obstacles are underfoot; they increase the distance you can shoot line while reducing the time needed to clear loops

- backing should be minimum 30# dacron or 50# gelspun and carefully attached both to the arbor but more importantly to the fly line; large SW species can easily spool you and any imperfections will result in a lost line. Maybe a spare line or two would be a good idea

- check into the presentations you will be making, most likely a tropical coating / floating or ghost tip will be the ticket for large streamers, short stout heads push bigger flies better.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 AM

Ghana, of course, is a world-caliber offshore fishing destination. Check out http://www.ghanabluesdotcom/ (and fer cryin out loud, people, I'm trying to help a guy out, not 'promote' a Ghana charter). Big game boats are not too fly friendly, but they might steer you to some flyrod action if you email tem. Clay can get a bit tought to tlk to if you're not after a 'grander', but I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction you if he can.

You need to find a guide or outfitter, if only for your personal safety. I can't emphasize this too strongly.Donot set off cross country with $1000+ of fancy fly gear hanging all over you.

I haven't fished Ghana, but if Ethiopia, Kenya, RSA, Namibia and Congo are any guide, you will find waters very murky (overgrazing erosion is a uge problem) and decent numjbers of freshwater fish in most bodies of water. Tilapia are a lot like our crappie, but a mongo Nike perch can be a heartstopper. Fis for them same way you would for a peacock bass - very bright flies that move a lot of water.
Biggest one we ever got ate a 3' hooked catfish in one gulp.

Talk to Clay and see if he's aware of any 'small game' opportunities in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to skeg Send a message via Yahoo to skeg
Thanks guys,

Juro you definitely made me worry about my line-coatings...
I hope I can still order - just in case - some tropi-line.
In Thailand I used a simple Airflo - multi tip line, and it was ok.

I am thinking about a SC sinking tarpon (fast intermediate), a wet tip express tropicore, a wet tip clear (im.), or a quad-tipSW... all variations are for my DH1212...

...for now I was using a Vision Ace DH-shooting head system - but calibred for OH casts. It worked fine in Mongolia, and on my winter- huchen- (an European taimen...)fishing, but who knows...better be prepared.

I am constantly checking the sites about FF in Africa, and I hope I could try some beach - casting...err...fishing, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.