Back to fly fishing, which rod? - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 02:16 PM

Back to fly fishing, which rod?

Hi all,

I dabbled with fly flishing about 15 yrs ago and feel I really want to take it more seriously.

I have a budget of about 300 for rod, reel (+ spares) and line, and want your thoughts on what is suitable.

I don't see me searching out 20lb salmon (yet) and think that most of my exploits will be small rivers and reservoirs, mainly mid-England and probably not from a boat. I am likely moving to the Spey area of Scotland in a couple of years, and so would like to buy a rod and reel that will certainly last and allow me to fish the smaller rivers up there. My thinking, after searching through a couple of mags, is to opt for an 'outfit' to include a 9ft-ish rod and reel (with 1-2 spools xtra) of atfm 6.

The main contenders are Sages FLi and Launch rods (with Scierra reel), the Greyflex MkII (with upgraded lines and a GTX reel), or maybe a Sharpes rod (with Vision Koma).

The above may be complete rubbish, so please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree. I'm sure I'll be told not to spend too much money, but I already have a cheapo rod in the garage, so I've set my sights a little higher.

Any advice most gratefully received.

__
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum!

I've never heard of Greyflex or Sharpes, so I can't be of too much help! Those must be brands specific to England. There's a few people on here from "over the pond" that might be able to help you better.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 11-14-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.