New fly fisherman - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 02:55 PM

New fly fisherman

I have never fly fished, but I am looking to get into it this fall. My main application will be brookies in small/ shallow mountain streams, although I may use it for river smallies from time to time. I'm hoping to stay at or below $200 on this rig, although I can be persuaded to spend a little more if there really is a benefit that is noticeable for a beginner.

The guy in the BPS fly shop said I should go with an 8'6" rod with 5 line weight and pointed me to a White River combo for $75. Is the White River worth anything, or can I get something noticeably better within my price range? How does the St. Croix Premier and the entry level Orvis stack up to others in their price range?

I've been reading up on tackle, and I have learned that reels aren't very important when fishing for small fish. The native brookies I will be fishing for tend to be pretty small (9-12"), so I plan to get a Pflueger Medalist or something similar, based on how much I spend on the rod and line.

As for line, I know absolutely nothing. Being used to spending $5.99 for a spool of Trilene mono for my baitcast and spinning rigs, I was pretty shocked to see the price of fly line. If you have any advice to offer in this regard, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any and all advice you can pass along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 AM

I'd say you are on the right track.

A 5 wt rod 8 1/2 ft would be a good all around choice for small mtn streams. The St. Croix Premier would be my recommendation. I've been fishing mostly with St. Croix rods since I started fly fishing. Even the lower end ones have served me well. Since you are planning on mountain streams and will be hiking allot, I would strongly recommend a 4 pc rod vs a 2 pc. rod. You can break them down and hike with them on the outside of your backpack quite nicely.

A plfueger will serve you well for your purpose. I have quite a few of them as back up reels with back up lines on them. Usually when a line needs replacing but is still servicable, I'll get another medalist and throw the old line on it. Comes in handy when a friend or two wants to try out fly fishing one weekend or just to have spares around on remote trips.

A good line is probably the most important thing you will buy,in my opinion. Worth the $ to get cortland or similar quality line. Also, it's worth getting good tippet material. I use climax or umpqua. Climax has great color.

Last edited by griz; 11-10-2005 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 AM

I take it your already a fisherman and knew flyfishing from before you thought on picking it up. I'm thinking not a quiter either and flyfishing wasn't thought up as a whim for this fall. $200 bucks can be alot for a whim, see and if not go for a St. Croix Ultra series. St. Croix has a life time first owner warrenty and you won't regret the rod for as long as you use it. They're right up there with every other top end rod on the market.
Asyour completely new I'll add this quick note:
If you take care of your gear you'll use only 1 single rod for the rest of your life.
here's a link to maintenance on hipwader.com

<non-sponsor link removed by admin>

Last edited by FlyfishingItaly; 11-10-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 PM

I take it that Pflueger and St. Croix are as good a value for fly fishing gear as they are for spinning/ baitcasting tackle. Thus, I will undoubtedly go with that since I've had such good luck with those brands in the past. Yes, I'm already a fisherman and no, this isn't a whim. However, I'm not ready to throw down $300 for a Legend, because, after all, I've never done any fly fishing, and I may end up hating it, although I highly doubt it. For the lifetime guarantee alone, I may consider moving up to the Avid though, assuming the guarantees are the same for fly rods as they are for spinning rods.

A question about 4 pc. vs. 2 pc: On spinning rods, the 2-piece rods are considered inferior to the 1-piece rods because of loss of feel. However, I've noticed that the 4-piece fly rods tend to be more expensive than the 2-piece rods. How do the 2 fly rod types compare as far as feel? Or is that not as big an issue in fly fishing since I won't be bumping lures off the bottom of the river?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 PM

Here's a thought ...
Avid
AFT865 8' 6" 5wt 4pc Mod. Fast 3.30 oz $210.00

Last edited by FlyfishingItaly; 11-10-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Since the St. Criox warranty has been mentioned a couple times I thougt I would mention this ...

About 10 years ago I broke my St. Croix rod being stupid. They replaced the broken section w/o question. However, last year my dad's St. Croix rod broke in the same way for no good reason. Just setting up on a fish in a normal way. St. Croix gave a real song and dance and said his rod never came with a lifetime warranty and was void after ten years or something like that. It was real BS on their part. They did sell him a new rod for 50% off. So save your hang tags from the rod that say lifetime warranty on them for sure so if they try it on you then you will have some ammo against them.Not totally awful experience but a little lame on their part. He got a good new rod for less than $100 but having a company deny their warranty is weak to say the least. I still recommend the rods due to price and general quality but I do think allot less of the company than before that incident.

4pc vs 2 pc feel... hard for me to say. The ease of backpacking with a 4 pc outweighs any slight difference in feel. I suspect the price difference is the extra labor of making a 4 pc but I'm not a rod maker.

Last edited by griz; 11-10-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:12 PM

You will be fine with the medalist or sci anglers reel for trout.

You might want to look at the Temple Forks Outfitters Professional Series rods. I think they go for $120 or so. Google it and you will see how popular they are. Lots of bang for the buck and a great warrantee.

Number of peices is not much of a factor in terms of performance anymore. Many of the top-end models only come in 4pc.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to wirehayes
Creating New Post

Since you are new as I am, could someone tell me how to create a new post.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirehayes
Since you are new as I am, could someone tell me how to create a new post.
On the main page for each forum, there is a button on the top left that reads "New Thread". You can start a new thread by clicking there.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Look for this...

(welcome aboard!)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.