trolling motors - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:10 AM

trolling motors

i fish in the boston harbor area and have a 20'center console io. i'm looking for a top quality and reliable bow mounted trolling motor. i would prefer a remote control unit but i have concerns about reliability, and odviously do not want to be spending the season waiting for the manufacturer to get around to "honoring" the warranty. any suggestions, recommendations or ideas are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM

From a fresh water guy in California:

My 1992 boat came equipped with bow-mount trolling motor with a foot/cable control. It had a metal shaft that bent when it hit a rock. The motor direction was unstable, requiring constant "foot attention." Pure junk.

Unsatisfied, I purchased trolling motor #2, still a foot/cable system. Pure junk

Then I purchased #3, a MinnKota with an electronic foot control connected by wire to the trolling motor. I didn't trust the radio remote, and chose the wire connection--mistake. The foot control was unreliable, the wire connections intermittent. The unit had a magnetic compass/autopilot that had great promise, if only the foot control worked. The unit has a graphite-epoxy composite shaft that is indestructible.

Wandering through Scheel's Sporting Goods store in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, three years ago, I spotted a radio remote for my MinnKota. It replaced the foot/wire system with a unit that straps to your wrist like a watch. It is superb, reliable, the first bow mount trolling motor worthy of being installed on my boat.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:58 PM

The Minnkota RipTide should be what you are looking for. Probably the 74 volt depending on how much your boat weighs and the current/wind. As for the steering, most people i know mount it on the bow and hand steer. Bob, how reliable do you think the romote (co-pilot?) would be in a salt environment? It sounds pretty good.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Jonesin...

I know you said bow mounted but have you considered the troll n tabs from either Bennet or Lenco. I don't have them myself but have been on boats with them and they seem worth it especially for fly guys that don't want to snag their line. I believe they are roughly twice the cost though.

Sean
Old 01-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Pencil me in.....

I ran Motorguides for 15 years and recent track record is what is important here. MinnKota has produced the most and the best trolling motors by far over the last five years..Go with the bow hand mount like Eddie says with the remote...It is easy to remove to maintain and or sell if you don't like the performance.

Last edited by jfbasser; 01-16-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Middle Aged Member

I've been on a couple of boats with the trim and troll tabs and they seem pretty nifty to me. But aren't there reliability issues with them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.