Got Crappie Fly Recipes? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Got Crappie Fly Recipes?

Just picked up some materials at the local fly shop for tying minnow patterns and they included soft grey hackles about 4-5 inches with marabou at the quill end, some enameled pearl eyes, crystal flash in peacock and will add buck tail and or fox tail to contrast the light gray hackle. I may tie in a herle on each side for a lateral line. Anybody specifically targeting Black Crappie? If so what flies work well. I'm still a beginning tier and caster and have only caught crappie on the fly once before with a friend last month on gummie flies that he had. They were real effective from my canoe by short casting them with floating line as the breeze pushed us across the pond with no stripping of line. Any ideas would be great. I may try to make some gummies too with a strip of minnow shaped pop-tart mylar embedded in silcone goop with a hook and eyes attached also embedded.....maybe.... depends on how messy it gets.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
you sound right on track with your materials, especially minnow imitating shiny materials and materials with alot of movement.

There are few people who target crappie specifically enough to create unique patterns for them, but a standby for me is any sparkle wooly bugger in sizes 12- 8, its shiny enough to grab their attention and the flowing movement of the marabou entices the bite more readily. My recomondation is to be creative with your tying and find what works for crappie in your area.

heres my recipe for a fly thats been producing well for me in my neck of the woods.

hook- Daichi 1270 or similar bend long shanked hook in size 12
gold bead head
rubber legs
collar- black ostrich herl and a peacock herl wrapped at the same time
tail- black goose biots
the rest of the body is medium black wapsi wire and peacock krystal flash
the fly is similar to a rubber leg copper john but with more movement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copper.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	5013  

Last edited by flyjkol; 10-03-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Fly chucker

Crappie have relatively large mouths for their size, so I use hooks up to size 4 for them. Standard flies like clouser minnows, wooly buggers, and any minnow imitating pattern work well. Sometimes a buggy subsurface pattern such as a bully spider will also get them.

I have always, always done better with crappie when using bright attractor colors such as white, yellow, chartruese, and pink in my flies. These color schemes really seem to get their attention around here, but then again I don't fish in super clear water.

Have fun.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Lots of good advice above. Stick with bright colors and let the fly sit. Crappie like to hit a motionless target. A bright unweighted or lightly weighted woolly bugger that suspends in the water will pull them in all day.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

According to Sean, all my flies are crappy
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM
LBFF Mojo

Yeah but you still catch more fish than I ever do I am just a crappy angler.

May have to let you borrow my boxes for a few months you can you add a little of that Mukai crappiness to mine.

-sean

Last edited by sean; 10-04-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.