Fall run on Miramichi - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Fall run on Miramichi

Any news on the Fall run on the Miramichi? I go every year and generally do pretty well. This year I have 3 days on the Little Southwest, then 7 days on the Main Southwest Miramichi. I always float the Cains for a day as well. I leave mid week, start fishing on Sept 29th. Enclosed are a few shots to remind us what we're after!

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miramichi Salmon. copyJPG.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	4989   Click image for larger version

Name:	fighting fish copy.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	4990  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM

Miramichi - 9/17 to 9/24

Four of us fished the lower SW Miramich from September 17 thru 24. When we arrived the water level was perfect for our pools which fish best medium to low. However, it was raining hard and by Monday the river was up 3 and a half feet and brown. We took the day off and did some visiting. This is the second big rise in water since the first of September. We fished the Renous on Tuesday and Wednesday and caught 4 Salmon and 1 grilse. Thurday through Saturday we fished our camp pools (one mile above Quarryville) and an other one just below the Blackville bridge. We only caught 1 grilse in the lower pools, but did have some luck in the Blackville pool. We saw very few fish move through with the exception of Thursday morning when a large group of salmon moved through the Blackville pool. We ended up landing 12 salmon and 6 grilse with all returned to the river. 3 of them were Cains River fish. It's unusual to catch more salmon than grilse, especially when an extral large grilse run was predicted for this year based on double the amount of the usual smolts migrating to the ocean in the spring of 2004. Hopefully, our mediocre fishing was caused by the high water moving a lot of fish quickly up the river or maybe they are all waiting until you get there.

Earle Fletcher
Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 AM

For what its worth, I received a report yesterday from a camp owner saying the the Fall run has not yet begun. The source is new to me and may have been influenced by the fact that I told him I was thinking of going up to the Miramichi during the last week of October.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Fall Run

Bruce Waugh at Doak's also told us they didn't think the "fall Run" had started. I hope they are riight.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Thanks for the info, I leave Wednesday. When I fish the main river I stay a mile below the Cains in Upper Blackville, usually in prime location for the Fall run. I'll stop by Doaks a few times as well, and say hey to Bruce and the crew. Look for a post on the results.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Old 09-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Earle,

Unfortunately, the poor number of grilse seems to be the rule this year. In Quebec, this is the same thing. Doesn't look good for next year...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.