Explain your user name - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Fly chucker

Question Explain your user name

Okay, for those of us here who don't use our actual name as a username.....

How did you arrive at your user name? I'll go first.

Years ago I was a member of a few other boards. I wanted the name Double Haul for the obvious reference to flycasting, but it was already taken by an inactive member on each site. Since they weren't into recycling user names, I simply shortened it to Dble Haul and have kept it since. It's unique, and people can recognize me from other sites.

How about you?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Well, its my name...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Well, its my name...
Nick, perhaps you missed the first line of my post.

Wise guy.....
Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Hawkeye - the name of my dearly loved and departed chocolate lab.

Gregg
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM

OC stands for the slippery TV show with all the good looking babes.

Sorry Teflon for the slippery part, I'll will do a google search on that one. Actually I have never watched that TV show but maybe I should have sued them for using my name. OC is for October Caddis that super sized Caddis that starts showing up on North American rivers right about now through October. The OC can get as big as a small humming bird on some rivers and it's colors can be as bright as the Irish Republican orange is. Swing a good October Caddis fly just under the surface on a warm late Summer/Fall evening and watch what happens be it Trout or Steelhead. Better results than watching good looking babes on some dorky TV show.
PS
Please don't ask how to tie my deadly OC. I belong to secret steelhead societies that would take my hooks away if I gave away my secrets.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Unhappy

Mine's dumb I guess compared to your reasons.

f : forestry department
c : first letter of the family name
ch : first two letters of first name

Very old user login name from a Unix system (back in the good old days when work stations didn't have rodents ,... well mice ... attached to them )
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Nick, perhaps you missed the first line of my post.

Wise guy.....
That's funny cause I totally missed it! OOPS!!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 AM

"chromer" - when a steelhead comes in fresh it is bright as a silver dollar. It might be a rainbow trout but the big adventure in the ocean makes it look totally amazing. I am not nearly that bright but I chose the name for respect of mother nature.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Mine is an old fraternity nickname that I use on the web for all the forums I post on (Google it and you'll see my other interests, it's out there a lot). The first part is my official fraternity nickname, and the last part was a last name added by one of the older members during a drunken episode one evening. There's a few more parts to it:

Dr. Teflon James (Jimmy) Jones

Trust me, you don't want me to explain the whole thing and it would make one heck of a long username.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Nemo

Well I'm kieran (real name) AKA Nemo on the UK forums.

Nemo, for two reasons, 1 - after the film Finding Nemo and 2 - The mythical Captain who lived 20000 leagues under the sea, earned from my mates due to my propensity for falling over in the salt and disappearing from view.

Aptly deserved I fear.

Nemo
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM

User Name

When I was a teenager my family moved from Dundee Scotland to Winnipeg Manitoba. In Winnipeg my father was active in the local Soccar with a team made up of expatriated Scots. The majority of the team were from the Glasgow area with a couple from the east coast of Scotland, instead of referring to the east coasters by the name of the city they came from they were often referred to as you guys from Tayside.
When I joined Spey pages I thought that Tayside was appropriate as I had grown up and learned to fish on the banks of the River Tay.

Ian
Old 08-03-2005, 12:41 AM

name, as in "Whats in a"

Ta' Hinea Cetan
Deerhawk
The storys of Native American background in my family that I grew up listening to that my mom used to tell (her side) We always joked, cause my dad's side of the family was directly related to Hannah Dustin, statue in Haverhill Mass....You know the drill, if not, Google her name
Here goes....
I questioned this part of me for a long time. I shuned it for a long time. Then I began to ask, and the name was given to me by the Spirit. Now with the name, I was afraid to use it, ridicule, embarasment, people looking at you like you just steped off of the most recent arival from the planet Zoron (I still get that). I began to understand how the "First" Americans must feel.
That was it, untill March of 2001. I had a dream, and in this dream I was sitting on a huge crippled Eagle. 3 Native American men passed by in front of me, 2 had there faces covered with there blankets, the third stoped and asked who I was, and I spoke the name Deerhawk.
This dream (one of those real vivid ones, where you swear it was real) stayed with me, I thought about it everyday. I wondered what it meant. I asked about the meaning. I was told to "Observe".
On September 11, I was working at the coast. Having a cup of Coffee at my friend Marks Surf Shop, when he called us all in to see the first plane hit the Twin Towers. It was then that I understood the Dream. It was then that I understood who I was.
Why me?
One of the storys I grew up with was the one about my Grandmother (Moms side) having visions. But my Grandfather was scared, not understanding, and forbid her
to speak any more about what she saw, or dreamed, I guess some of it was not to pleaseant.
But here's the best part for me ....
The Worldwide Flyfishing Forum was the first place I used the name in public, It was the first place that I was not ridiculed in some way, shape, or form for being me. I was so nervous the day I singed up as a member, that I put 2 a's in Hawk, which remains today, a small testament to how silly it was to feel that way here. The members of the Forum have always made me feel comfortable being who I was. And I havn't made it easy for you either alot of the time.
I'm Deerhawk
Ta' Hinea Cetan
Most of you who know me, won't think I'm any crazier now than I was when I first showed up....and thats a good thing?

Yes.....True......Every word
Old 08-03-2005, 08:53 AM

Good question, great answers

I owned and operated a 47' fishing vessel in Alaska for about 30 years, the Moonlight. Anyone who ever rebuilt a 46' wooden boat from the keelson to the exhaust stack understands that your blood sweat and tears become part of the boat. Lots of boat skippers get pegged with the name of there ride.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM

I are "Old Man" because I am one. It was put up because everyone kept saying hey old man. So just to make things simple I stuck with it.But I sign off with what I'm really called.

Jim
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Hello,
Macrostigma ..................... what means this term ???????
Salmo trutta macrostigma is an endemic specie of salmo trutta in corsica, the country where I live in .......
As you can see, my english lessons are far away ;-)
I live in Ajaccio in corsica (little Island near the coasts of France) since 5 years.
I'm 29 years old, father of a little "Clarisse" .........
There is no salmons here, only wild trouts that provide great flyfishing moments ....
If you are interested in this little part of our world, you can email me .....
And I'll respond them as welle as I can, with my old institutionnal english ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.