Skagit - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2001, 12:46 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Skagit

Fished the Skagit River on Sunday. Started high at Swift Creek. Water is low, gin clear and cold. Weather is overcast with a few sprinkles, temp about 32 degrees. 2nd or 3rd cast got a good take on the swing. I thought this would be a steelhead because the take was on the swing and I was up high in the run. It turned out to be a 20" Dolly. Caught 2 more Dollies in the frog water before heading to Jackman Creek. Caught 2 Dollies at Jackman. All of the Dollies went around 18 to 20 inches. After Jackman Creek I moved further down river to Grandy Creek. The river has more color here. I suspect the color is coming from the Sauk and maybe some from the Baker. Visibility about 3 feet. I fished for several hours with no sign of Mr. Metalhead. A good day for catching Dolly Varden. Not so good for catching steelhead.

Lots of eagles and herons. I look hard at those blue herons. I can see lots of spey hackle and one great big fine. Only seen one other fisherman all day. Unusual for a Sunday. I could hear a few sleds running but only seen one. I like it when the eagles and herons out number the people.

Next weekend I go in search of Mr. Metalhead again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2001, 02:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Skagit

Kerry -

Thanks for that glimpse in my minds eye of one of earth's truly magnificent river jewels. I'm lucky to be able to reconstruct virtually every nuance of your report from the words based on memories.

That silver freight train could be holding in that pool next time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.