fishing a dropper... - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 PM

fishing a dropper...

Hi,
Im afraid i have another newbie question...

When people fish droppers do they thread one fly higher up the tippet, tie it and attach one at the end as well, tie more tippet to the eye of the fly at the end of the tippet or attach another piece of tippet line to the leader ?

thanks
lance

Last edited by britguyinmt; 05-23-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2005, 02:14 PM

I tie 16" of tippet to the hook bend of the first fly and hang the dropper from there. Lots of different ways to do it.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Wink

lance- What I do for fishing the salt is to take a 5 foot piece of tippet(heavy) and near one end tie a 5 turn surgeons loop leaving the short end about 5 inches long for attaching the dropper fly. The long end gets my point fly. This method does not tangle and by using heavy (25# or 30#) tippet I have landed many stripers sometimes even doubles. Occasionally I'll add an extra piece to the above tippet so I can add a second dropper, especially if there is an abundance of different types of food for the stripers to select from. This gets crazy at times though so I generally stay with only one dropper. Just another way to skin the cat. Ron
Old 05-24-2005, 07:17 PM

That's how I tie my droppers on also but if I may add,make sure the tag end that you are tying your dropper on is the end attached to the butt section or the leader stepping up to your butt section or fly line .This is not only stronger but ensures the dropper fly will lie in the same direction as the end fly,it is also suggested to try to leave at least 18 in.between flies.The reason being if the fish goes for the dropper first there is less chance of being side hooked by the end fly before it takes the dropper.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 PM

Don't make it complicated...

You can tie on a "longer" piece of tippet and leave the tag end long and tie the dropper to the tag...or, you can tie in your conventional length of tippet, tie in the fly and then tie a second piece of tippet to the eye of the point fly and choose the length you want the dropper to fish.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I just tie on the first fly and leave the tag end of the knot very long and tie the second fly to that.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:30 PM

The easiest why is to first tie on the largest fly through the eye, then tie on tippet to the bend of the hook. How much you use is personal taste. The more you use the less drag their will be, but the farther away from your weight it will be so it wont be as near to the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.