Sinking line cast - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 AM

Sinking line cast

I recently purchased a full sinking line around a 300 gr for a 990 Rplxi. In the past I have used shooting heads and found them remarkably easy to cast. This line however is a full sinking, not the Teeny style of a head type system. I have found that I can cast the line ok by extending my stroke all the way back and then all the way foreword and waiting an excrushiatingly long period of time while the rod loads. Is this the norm? I've tried opening the loop on my cast and it has not helped. any suggestions to aid in the ease of use would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

probably has to do with these things (and maybe more):

1) length of the head (longer)
2) grain distribution over length (spread out)
3) your accustomed stroke

The Teeny style is only 24ft long in the head and very densely packed, a shooting head among shooting heads.

Full sinking lines are thin diameter long headed fishing lines that are best cast with a long even keeled stroke and more line in the air (in standard WFS configs).

If you took the same grains spread over 24ft and stretched it out over 50, the line will feel very light until you get a lot in the air.

I would venture that your casting stroke is also tuned into the shooting heads, which are great "get down to business" lines and catch a lot of fish.

BTW - you don't want to open the loop to try to get a better load. If anything the loss of load could be largely due to a circular stroke opening the loop up and dissipating the energy (not focused).

Also 325-350 grains over 24-28ft loads the rod well (I fish it all the time). A full sink of 300 grains is probably that over a lot longer head 35-45ft (?) so it's probably feeling a little light until you get a good length out there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Swinger of Flies

I had some issues with a 9ft 8wt RPLxi and sink tips. The thing was making me work waaaay to hard. I talked to the Sage crew and they said that the RPLxi was designed around flating lines and 50 to 60 foot casts. They were not suprised by the rod not performing very well with tips. Something else to consider.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 PM

questions?

Q: is the rod to stiff ? to were it is not loading right ? or is it to soft to were it over loads and the cast fails ? or are you haveing a problem pulling the line off the water. because you are use to a floating main line and a sink tip ?

A: (1) if the rod is to stiff i would try a heavyer tip
(2)if it to soft maybe a lighter tip
(3) if you are haveing a problem pulling line of the water wich will make the cast fail . try a water haul
(4) you may want to look at line with a floating body and a sinking tip from now on. people have trouble pulling full sinking lines off the water wich could make the cast fail
(5) another test you could do is ask around and see wich friends have a a 250, 350 and 400 sink tip lines to see if this helps load the rod better.

(6)another thing to consider is test casting rods before you buy them to see if they will handle what you want them to

hope that helped good luck and screaming drags to you all stonefly1013.........
Old 05-20-2005, 08:03 AM

You need to be able to carry a lot of line with a full sinker. That rod would be perfect for a QD line like the Rio Striper DC 350.

Why did you go with the full-sinking line over an integrated head such as the Teeny?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:11 AM

just wanted to try sometihing different. I have stuck with the line and am making strides with it. I now can cast it ~ 65-75' with most consistancy. I think I like the integrated head-running system better but I was able to get the line for a song so no real loss if I shelf it after a month anyhow.

Thanks for all your input on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.