false cast hitting water on forward cast - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM

false cast hitting water on forward cast

: Hello, I am new to this forum, I could use some help. I was out today with a 3wt rod/4wt forward line, in water up to my chest. I just could not get my false cast forward and back cast out of the water. It would just tap the water on both sides. I would say about 25-50 ft of line....any help would be great....Thanks

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Fly chucker

If you're in water up to your chest, I'd suggest stepping back a bit for both practicality and safety. The depth that you were standing in probably aggrevated the false casting situation, but it sounds like you were also either overpowering your strokes or letting your casting loops open up a bit too much.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:49 AM

Hey thanks for the response. you are right I should have backed up a little. I feel like I am over powering at the beginning of both my back cast as well as my forward cast. It may just be winter rust....but I am very frustrated. Let me know if any one has pointers. thanks Greg
Old 04-18-2005, 11:13 AM

When wading deep it is much easier to cast in the style of Lefty Kreh. Side arm the pick-up onto back cast and aim the cast on an upward angle. If you cast vertically over the shoulder it is very easy and very common to let your arm rotate back and downward aiming the line towards the water.

Check out videos and books by Lefty on casting, lots of information is available.

Regards,
FK
Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 PM

thanks for the info...I will get my hands on Lefty's video....Thanks Greg
Old 04-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I think your main problem is that you're using a WF 4 line on a 3 wt pole. What's the flex of the pole like (i.e. fast action, medium, full flex)? Even if it's a fast action rod, I think overlining a 3 wt is a bad idea for a novice caster.

There's a HUGE difference overlining an 8 wt with a 9 wt line versus a 3 wt with a 4 wt line. Using the WF line only adds to this. The difference gets bigger and bigger the smaller the rod/line size.

I'd recommend that you either swap for a 4 DT line, or go to a 3 WF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.