Best Sunglasses? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 PM
NE Oregon

Best Sunglasses?

There are a lot of brands out there for us flyfisherman.
What have people found to be the best polarizers and wear for the money?
(No sponsors please)

Last edited by Mulepadre; 02-27-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up Sunglasses

I use Action Optics Photocromatic Clearwater Copper and they work for me in Chatham or Andros and they have great customer service.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 PM

I had action optics and thought they were excellent until I required a new lense and they told me $60 plus shipping. They are nice and I also had the copper lenses. Now I have two pair of Bolle and they seam to work as well.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:14 AM
Frustrated English SWFF

I've used Maui Jim's for the last 2 years and think they are great!
Wasn't sure of the rose coloured tint, but they have proved to be good in most conditions.
I use them for driving, fishing and normal wear and they are so light you forget they are there

Dave
Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Cool sunnies

I have recently switched to the Costa Del Mar, Pescador with the glass green mirror finish and the amber lens. They really cut through the water and provide good protection.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:18 AM
NE Oregon

Thumbs up Goggles?

I was doing some surfing and found these FISHING GOGGLES
Anyone tried these?
Cabelas has them for $76

http://todd_milligan.tripod.com/stuapte/index.html
Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
NE Oregon

For Juro

This is for Juro,

I respect your point of view so am curious how you would respond now in reference to a post below which you made back in March of 2001 about Fisherman Eyeware. From what I can gather perhaps those glasses did not last...

However I talked today with Fisherman Eyeware and they said they would fix or replace a scratched or broken pair, no questions asked. "They want me for returning customer" was their reasoning. Fine by me...

At $49 for polycarbonates--no polychromatic molecules in the lenses--but polarized, one could buy two/three for the price of Action Optics polys. However maybe bad optics...
so I am now favoring the Action Optics "Fishbone"

Check out Fisherman Eywear's:

http://www.fishermaneyewear.com/guide_line.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I am totally pleased with the $49 Fisherman Eyewear brand gray wrap-around polycorbonate polarized shades sold at Costco, model 90301. They are shatterproof and cut the glare beautifully. At that price I am thinking of buying a back-up pair although these have served me very well and I expect to have them for a long time.

<b>In my opinion, FWIW, is that they are the best price/performance value in polarized polycarbs on the market.</b>

Last edited by Mulepadre; 02-28-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Action optics _ Ambush_poor quality

I have been very unhappy with this pair of glasses. The lenses pop out on these guys way too easy. After losing a lens after it popped out on me while fishing, I took them into the local shop to see what could be done. The action optics rep said he would replace them because apparently there had been some manufacturing problems and losing lenses was somewhat of a problem. Well, I got a new pair, and would you believe the same thing started happening again. The only pocket I would ever carry them in was the pocket of a fleece, but I was told to always carry them in their case when not around my head. The other day, I got them out of the carrying case which had been sitting in my fishing vest and would you know it, I put them on, and not a minute later, the fricking lens pops out again. I pick it up and there is a nice crack through the lense. I give up with these glasses. Definitely not worth the cash.

Last edited by papenfus; 02-28-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mulepadre -

My romance with these glasses lasted a while but as the glaring sun of the Monomoy flats beamed down and I became full-time during the striper season out there the plastic began to degrade in the sun (or such is my belief) and cracked in the same spot three pairs in a row.

Try as I might to glue the crack back together, the material would not hold for long even with the allmighty aquaseal. In my book if aquaseal can't hold it game over. You might not expose your plastic frames to the UV I do, but I've switched to metal frames.

Since then I have met the staff at Denver and am completely impressed with their new products and dedication of the anglers needs. I want to investigate their new products further and will contact them to discuss sponsorship.

If these glasses had not split I would still be touting them. The jury is out on their new product line... it would be cool to review their products in the field.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 02-28-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Flats Rat

Action Optics, copper lens, tortoise shell frames. Now about to commence their 4th season of abuse and still going strong. I did make a repair on one of the side fames but apparently you can get spare parts.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Get Yourself Some Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top

B.A.S.S Black frame wrap around.... Polarized
I get them when they go on sale at a local sports store..... about 12-14 bucks.
I get a new pair each spring to start off the season, they can take the abuse, and end up in the glove box in the late fall as a back-up.
Last time I bought a "Spendy" pair of shades, they ended up in 2 pieces after being sat on at a party, $89.- gone with the wind, phftt!

If you gotta fu...dge with your specs. or constantly worry about pinnin them back...
Thats less time fishin, and spendy ones scratch just like cheap ones....
Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.