a forward belly in a double spey - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 06:45 PM

Unhappy a forward belly in a double spey

I need some spey casting advice. I have my right hand on top, I'm on the right bank, so the river is flowing left to right. I go for the double spey to cast 45 degrees downstream. Every single time I make this cast my line shoots out with a big downstream belly. I have to make a massive upstream mend just to straighten everything out, and it's killing my swing. How can I get that line to shoot out nice and straight?

I'm thinking I just need to come straight down with the rod as I make the forward cast. I must be coming down at an arc.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by fairhooked; 02-08-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's difficult to say without a video clip or first hand observation, of course we can formulate some theories.

Most likely it's a matter of things being out of alignment, as this most often results in a curved line. The d-loop and casting direction could be skew, the forward stroke could be curved, or the position of the anchor relative to the d-loop could be too far apart causing a 'flipping' effect when powered through.

What you can do regardless of cause is:

a) make sure your initial movement produces a nicely shaped 'candy cane' shape with the belly of the line curved nicely upstream leaving the end of the line where it meets the leader about where you could touch it with the rod tip on your right side and out in front (45 degrees out to the right in this case).

b) make sure your second movement (the sweep) pulls the line around into the backcast at an almost level motion but with a slight incline (like a screw-top jar lid) as it comes back to the d-loop...

c) then make sure that the rod does not swing too far around behind you - in other words stop short of straight back leaving an angle in the rod and let the top half of the d-loop tighten up backwards into a straight line opposite the target. Put your left foot back and watch the top half of the loop with your eyes. It should tighten up in line with your target. If it isn't in line with the target, you can't force it over... you will have to obey the angle of aim and go where that top half is lined up.

d) make sure your anchor is on the right side about a rod's length out and to the right. Having it be too far up or down river causes it to jump up irregularly and flip to one side.

e) make sure you have enough power, but smooth power to energize the line through it's full course. Another way to get a curve in the line is to under-power the loop.

If I had the time I would draw some diagrams... but just read Simon Gawesworth's book for the most thorough descriptions of the double spey you could dream of.

Also, if you had video clips you could get some super diagnosis. Feel free to send them privately in the event you don't want them posted publicly but on the other hand we've all been through the same thing and it could be education to others.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 02-08-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 PM

Thumbs up Great advice

Juro,

Thank you for the great and detailed advice. I'll have to pay more attention to exactly what I'm doing and also see if I can get some video to post. I don't have any problem putting video onto a public post. The help is great.

One of the few things that my cast has going for it is I'm anchoring up in a good position. Now that I'm thinking about everything though, as I sweep I have a tendency to bring that rod tip up way too soon. I imagine that would make it difficult for the line to form a d-loop behind me, and would form it over to my side. Hmmm, I wonder if that's it? It is certainly something to work on either way.

I'll start with that and also pay close attention to my forward cast. I'll give an update after I get out on the water. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.