Spey Rod Selection - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2005, 04:57 AM

Spey Rod Selection

I've decided to buy my first spey rod and learn to spey cast. Over my 30 years of fly fishing, 20 of which have included some atlantic salmon fishing, I've developed a preference for Sage rods. Looking at their two handed rods, I think I'm leaning towards a 14 or 15 foot, 9 weight. I really don't know if I should be choosing the Traditional or the faster European model, or is it a big difference. Most of my salmon fishing takes place on the Gaspe rivers, the York, Dartmouth and Saint Jean. Maybe I should also consider a brand other than Sage. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

Silver fox,
it looks like you have at least made an acurate choice of weight and length for those rivers. that size is pretty good for the grand as well, maybe a little heavy for the fish but just right for the water. as to brand or action i would try to cast as many different rods as possible to see what you like. the sages are generally slower action (outside of the tcr) and rods like loomis and t&t are generally faster action. action is largely personal preference and you will need to do your test driving to find what you like and what works well for the distance/weight you need for fishing your water. have fun doing the research.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 AM

the Sage VPS 14' #9 is a very easy rod to learn with (and not bad to fish with either).
Old 02-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Silver Fox...

I agree with Eddie, that there is certainly nothing wrong with that 14' 9wt Sage. No matter what brand you buy I do think that you should deal with a shop that will let you take a prospective rod purchase to the river with some appropriate lines so you can try it out.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Pullin' Thread

As to what rod to get, it depends on the type of action you like. If you are partial to fast action single hand rods and are committed to Sage as the rod of choice, I'd recommend you look at the European action. However, if you like slow rods, the Traditional Sages would be ideal. There is a very noticeable difference between the Euro's and Traditionals.

One of the best things you could do is find some local folks, or a local shop that has 2-hand rods and cast several different rods from different rod makers. Also, keep in mind that as people improve the spey casting technique and gain experience spey casting, they tend to move away from slow rods and to more medium or fast rods.

There are many fine 2-hand rods out there other than Sage, and all of the rod makers have a different feel to their rods. You really ought to try several rods from different manufacturers before deciding.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 PM

rod action

Flytier: What no boost for T&T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.