kinda new and had some ?s... - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 11:57 AM
flyfishing guru

kinda new and had some ?s...

Hi... My names TJ im 16 and just bought a pretty nice set up a while back. I basically know but am asking anyway. What all can i fish for with this set up. Both fresh and salt.

The rod is a Scott V2 8weight 4 pc. 9'
The reel is a Ross Rythm 8w.

I havent bought any line yet (ran out of $)but if yall could give me some ideas on that it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2005, 05:56 PM

Welcome!

Good afternoon,
Good to have you on board, nice to see the next generation of fly guys getting involved. An 8 wt. is IMHO the crossover point from "Light Tackle" fishing. Made for working "Larger" fish. If I might ask, what kind and size of fish are you targeting there in your home waters? What do you fish more, fresh or saltwater? Is there a fly shop in your area that you could bring your rod to for use with demo reels with line loaded on them?
Some reel / rod combos you can "vary" the line weight up or down depending on the type of fish that you hit most often. Others are less forgiving in that respect. Trial and error with your "Wallet" can be spendy, so any time you can "Try" a product for free, well free is a good thing.
I will let you ponder those Q's and post back!

Deerhawk
Old 01-30-2005, 01:07 PM
flyfishing guru

Well i fish on the coast and florida some but want to get up to arkansas and tennessee soon but being 16 is kind of a problem.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Hey T.J. Your setup is good for light saltwater fishing and for fishing big bass bugs, and fishing big streamers or woolly buggers for trout.

As for line, there's a lot of variables. First of all, how much do you have to spend?

Last edited by teflon_jones; 01-30-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM
flyfishing guru

well what im probably gonna do is return, sell or trade it for a 6 weight. Thanks though
Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Hope you get to Arkansas soon. I was a guide there for several years. Holler when you get ready to go.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:14 PM
flyfishing guru

Thats awesome. I definatley will, thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:33 PM

tj--why would you want to leave florida??? and why give up the 8 wt.? you have the perfect rod/reel for snook, redfish, bonefish, small tarpon and small permit... my first and only rod when i was your age was an old fenwick 8 wt. i used it in the keys till about 5 years ago, when i got a couple of 9s, 10s and a 12 (mostly for work)... this rod should also be good for stripers, bluefish, largemouth bass, and salmon and steelhead when you travel... don't sell it, save some money and buy a 5 wt. for trout in arkansas. whatever you do, good luck...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:22 PM
flyfishing guru

Alright thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Hi TJ,

You mentioned that money is at a premium, so I am suggesting that you make
6 Wt. rod. You can buy two piece blanks at a low cost ( about a 40-50% savings) and assemble the rod your self. If you go to your library you can find books on rod making. Dale Clemmens' book is an excellent start. Most rod companies sell blanks for a fraction of the cost of the same rod prefinished. Assembling the rod is fairly easy and very rewarding, it's like tying your own flies.

The equipment is very simple, you will need a rat tail file, epoxy cement and thread size A. Rod components , in addition to the blanks, you will want to buy a reel seat (holds the fly reel) and a good quality cork grip and finally, you need a set of line guides plus tip top. The latter two components will rerquire your wrapping on to the rod blank. May sound confusing, but once you read a book on the subject, all will become clear.

I hope the above gives you some ideas and permit you to keep your 8 Wt. rod and make any other rod you like. By the thr Orvis Co. sells blanks and includes a small booklet on how to assemble a rod.

Good Luck !

Seth
Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 PM
flyfishing guru

Alright. Thanks. I definatley will look into that.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I wouldn't overline your rod. Stick with the line weight that the pole is designed for. If you overline to start off, you're not properly learning how to fish the rod. Only experienced fishermen should ever try overlining since they're already experienced casters. Just my opinion!

You could try your local fly shop for a demo line that's been used for practice casting and you could save a bundle, but you'd still be getting a premium line. The Concept fly lines are inexpensive and cast well. I have one that my wife learned on, and it's a great line for the price.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:03 PM

TJ,

If you haven't picked up that 8wt line yet, email me your address and I'll send you a slightly used 8wt line to get you started. I've been fishing 8s for a long time and I have plenty of spare ones that will never get used again. You'd be doing me a favor to put one to work.

Dick Brown

dbrown@brownwright.com
Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 PM
flyfishing guru

thanks that would be great. Ill send you an email out today. thanks again!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
flyfishing guru

Hey guys, with the line that mr. brown have me I caught some trout with it 2 weekends ago. On my 5 weight I had about a 4lb. brown on but he broke off. O well Ill get em next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.