8 wt. search - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 AM

8 wt. search

just beginning to delv into the 8-10 wt. stuff. and hear of three excellent fresh/salt reels, ie. ross, bauer & lamson. i own several lightweight ross reels and am pleased with the quality. just handling the bauer, it appears to be a well built piece. i do understand some of the potential problems with it's more exposed cork drag, and finally i keep hearing what a good reel the litespeed and veliocity are however have read and heard of numerous drag problems. just looking for some additional input. thanks. gh by the way, am going to give the temple fork ticr a try for starters...feels good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 AM

hi gtolb... you have a lot of options, all good. i own a bunch of sage and scott rods, but i also have the ti cr 5 wt., and the new ti cr-x 9 wt. i really like the tfo rods. (they 're really fast though--it depends on your stroke). not to mention, they're less than half the price of my other ones. i think they're just as good. also, i saw the new tfo reels, (not out yet... but soon), and they look great... and i spoke to the rep and they will be priced around $250., i think. it seemed like a really good deal. i own abel reels (the super series) and the drag is great. i think if you have the $$$, and you're fishing for saltwater fish that you need a reliable drag for, go with abel. (or tibor or pate or something like that... i have also checked out the old florida nautilus series, and they look amazing... though i don't know enough about the drag). you might also want to look for an 8 or 9 sage rplxi rod, they were discontinued last year and they're great. my usual 9 wt. set up is the ti cr-x (i have an rplx 9 wt. too) with the abel super 8, and it's really great... it's my workhorse rod... bonefish, snook, redfish, stripers, bluefish, albies... i would heartily recommend that set-up if you like the ti cr-x... probably $250 for the rod, maybe $600. for the reel. i think it's worth it.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 AM

ps--the ti cr-x's are a little on the big side--so you might want the 8 because it seems a little more like a 9... my 9 is a little heavier than a typical 9... and they cast well when you over line them, depending.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 AM

I upgraded my Lamsons to Bauer last season and put in quite a few days from shore and boat. Simple maintenance and I've had zero problems with it so far. It has the smoothest start-up of any reel I've tried.

Good suggestions on the rods. If you're looking to upgrade I have a 9.5 foot, 8wt Powell Tiburon 2 that I'm looking to sell. Used sparingly for one season. PM me if you're interested for details.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 AM

by the way, i own an old lamson (drag is ok, but a little sketchy)... and i have owned bauers (good, but not a cork drag)... it just depends on how much $ you want to spend (on the reel, anyway).
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 PM

I would not suggest Lamson if you change spools on a regualr basis. I have the Light Speed and have sent it back twice in one year (this past season) for stuck spools. They say though the drag is sealed, the spindle is not. They are releasing and fixing my problem as I type.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 AM

quad tip vs. backup spool

hey guys, i appreciate the input on the rods & reels i mentioned and you helped me make my decision. i'm getting an early start on a summer alaska float trip. am planning to pack a couple of 8/9 wts. and a couple of 5/6/7 wts. am open to suggestions also. had a quad tip line recommended to me...not really familiar with it but wonder if it would be a good alternative to individual lines on backup reels/spools. by the way, going after silvers, rainbows & grayling. appreciate it. gh
Old 01-31-2005, 04:18 PM
flyfishing guru

hey gtolb check you PM
Old 01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

reels

i have alot of reels that i use for salt and fresh. the ross big game reel is great as well as the lamsom reels. i use them for steelhead,bones,tarpon,jacks,cuda's, and snook and they have never let me down
Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM

SA Large Arbor

This last salmon season I used an 8 weight TFO series one an SA Large Arbor system II 8/9 reel and a Rio versa tip line, combination worked flawlessly and handled Chinook to the mid forties. Since then I have purchased the TFO Ticr-x 8 weight and now the series one is the backup.
At the start of the season I did use a Lamson Velocity 3.5 but on the tenth fish I played the spool split into two halves leaving me with a fish thrashng around at the end of the line and a two hundred yard backing and flylline knot between the reel and the stripping guides. No more two part spools for me.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.