Alaska Flies for mid-August? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:22 PM

Alaska Flies for mid-August?

My wife and I will be in Anchorage August 5-10. We plan to then stay another week or so and fish on the Kenai River near Soldotna for silver salmon. We also hope to fish for trout on some smaller waters. Any recommendations for flies we should bring? We will probably hire a guide for a float trip or two. Any recommendations for a good guide? We have a place to stay near Soldotna, so we don't want the lodge package. Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by Ironfoot; 01-12-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 12:24 PM

I guided in Dilingham after college, which is four hours NW of where you will be. Our Silver run was more like mid-september. Patterns in Hot pink work good for Silvers anbd if you find them milling about in the backwaters they will chase the topwater stuff like poliwogs and bombers. Gurgle them like you were bass fishing and that's the coolest thing you will ever get a salmon to do. FLash flies in silver, pink and green work well too. Look for the smaller egg patterns, sockeye size becausde they will be just getting done when you will be there. Eggs will be the ticket for the rainbows. Check out the bead selection from Cabelas as the rainbows do tend to swallow mcFly foam and yarn patterns. Pegg the egg an inch or two above the hook and that way the rainbow gets hooked in the mouth. Alaska is no brainer fishing, so don't over think it. Let me know if you need more info, check out the book, Flyfishing Alaska, it's a good read.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:41 AM

I second the Pink thing. Shaq is right on with that. If you run into any humpies, they will take it also. Had a few great days with pink bunny leaches last time I was up there.

Charlie.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Kodiak Alaska

The pink pollywog is very cool! Here's 2 more that I enjoyed up there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink and green salmon.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	4388  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM

I posted this question on another talk site. The main response was "egg sucking leech". That a good choice? In purple? How deep is the Kenai around Soldatna? Is it wadeable? Rocky bottom?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.