Not breaking the Saltwater Bank - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 01:53 PM

Question Not breaking the Saltwater Bank

Hi, all...new to the site. Thought I'd tap the collective in regards to value-priced saltwater reels. I'm looking to find a decent 8/9 wt reel with a sturdy, well-performing drag, good backing capacity, good corrosion resistance...one that will stand up well to Bones or Reds. I seem to be fixed on Redington and the Orvis Mach V right now - do any of you have any experience with the AL or AS series Redingtons (a lot of these on ebay right now), the new Brakewater series (large arbor) or CD series (mid-arbor) reels or the Orvis Mach series? The Redingtons sure are pretty to look at, but I wonder if the durability is there. I have experience with Orvis reels (favorable), but not with the Mach series. I love the look and feel of the Abels, Tibors and Ross Big Game, but really want to spend less money! I'm also very curious about Old Florida reels, especially the Nautilus, but I'd be in the same boat as far as price goes with these...any ideas or suggestions? Junk is definitely not an option...just want the best I can get for a good value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM

Zugbugz

I a little quid pro quo on the reel question (thanks for the earlier advice). I fish the Old Florida FW456 on my 6 wt nymphing rod. I have a high opinion of the overall workmanship of this reel, and I would tend to guess this quality extends to their higher end. Of course I can't speak to the Nautilus drag performance as mine has a standard click and pawl. The proprietors at www.thelowerforty.com, where I bought mine, raved about the value per dollar of these reels. I'm sure they'd offer an opinion on the Nautilus if they've fished it - just take into account what's in their best interest.

Sherman
Old 12-29-2004, 04:55 PM

Talking Thanks cshern!

I'm going to check them out ...thanks for the info!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugbugz
Hi, all...new to the site. Thought I'd tap the collective in regards to value-priced saltwater reels. I'm looking to find a decent 8/9 wt reel with a sturdy, well-performing drag, good backing capacity, good corrosion resistance...one that will stand up well to Bones or Reds. I seem to be fixed on Redington and the Orvis Mach V right now - do any of you have any experience with the AL or AS series Redingtons (a lot of these on ebay right now), the new Brakewater series (large arbor) or CD series (mid-arbor) reels or the Orvis Mach series? The Redingtons sure are pretty to look at, but I wonder if the durability is there. I have experience with Orvis reels (favorable), but not with the Mach series. I love the look and feel of the Abels, Tibors and Ross Big Game, but really want to spend less money! I'm also very curious about Old Florida reels, especially the Nautilus, but I'd be in the same boat as far as price goes with these...any ideas or suggestions? Junk is definitely not an option...just want the best I can get for a good value.

I have four reels upon which I can opine from experience -- the Mach V, Brakewater, Abel BG2, and the Lamson LP-4.

I use the LP-4 almost exclusively for striper fishing in Maine. It has performed flawlessly for me and -- keeping in mind that the largest striper I have caught was only 36" long -- I feel confident, would do the same for you fisihng for reds. You can pick up a virtually new LP-4 on eBay for about $120, $200 with an extra spool.

I use the other three reels for atlantic salmon fishing and had a chance to compare them side-by-side, so to speak, last season on the same trip to Quebec. They, unlike the user, all performed flawlessly, with the edge going to the Mach V, followed by the Brakewater, with the Abel a close thrid. I love to look at the Abel and hold it, but it is seldom my "go to" reel when fishing. The drags on all three perform comparably. I think the Mach V gets the edge because it is light, it is pretty, it carries more than enough dacron backing (I don't like gelspun), and it picks up more line with each turn of the spool than either of the other two. Its a little more expensive ($26 at list) than the Brakewater and considerably less expensive ($110) than the Abel.

I have also owned the Redington AS -- way too heavy and the drag is suspect. If the "AL" to which you refer is the same reel as the Redington/Orvis Battenkill LA, I owned that reel too -- great reel, but not enough backing capacity.

Those are my $0.02. I hope they help you make the right decision for yourself.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up Reply to Smolt - Not Breaking the Saltwater Bank

Thanks Smolt...this info helps!...I am an Orvis fan at heart (I own an Orvis Battenkill LA IV - nice reel but insufficient backing capacity for serious salt adventures - as you alluded to) and think their reels offer a lot of performance, durability and looks at reasonable prices. I had checked out the Mach in a local store within the past few months, but then heard about the recall and decided to hold off. Thanks again...Zugbugz
Old 12-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugbugz
I had checked out the Mach in a local store within the past few months, but then heard about the recall and decided to hold off. Thanks again...Zugbugz

No need to be concerned about the recall any longer. All the reels for sale now are the "new improved" models. I don't think you can go wrong with a Mach V.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.