Wading SOS jacket - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2001, 09:04 PM
President of CAC

Wading SOS jacket

After some close calls at the Chatham Inlet and with the strong current in certain wading spots I went to West Marine and purchased a CO2 inflatable life jacket.It's called SOSPENDERS and cost $70.Very light and compact and this is the first time I have considered this for salt water wading... I could even have it on in a boat without the usual discomfort of the run of the mill bulky life preservers... Just wondering if anyone has experience with the reliability of this type of jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2001, 09:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Glad to hear it, we can't have the CAC pres with da' fez going into Davey Jones' locker!
Old 08-02-2001, 09:55 PM

striblue

The Coast Guard has finally approved the use of some inflatable PFD's. Me think that Sospenders products are ones on their approval list. We have both kinds, the manual and the hydrostatic release. One of the reasons they were dragging their feet on approval was the reliability of the mechanism to inflate the vest and how over time it would work. Plan on blowing it up each year to check for leaks and cracks.

We wear them when we make crossing to the islands under any conditions, especially in the dark. Always clip the motor kill switch too if I'm by myself.

Your right John! They are very comfortable to wear will no restrictions. We also use them when trout season opens when we paddle the canoe in colder water.

Been thinking of wearing one to school in September. The kids might think it's a flac jacket and leave me alone. They are costly but it's a small price to pay in an emergency.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:20 AM

John,
I have one that I use in my canoe while trout fishing.It is much more comfortable than a
regular life jacket,and does not restrict
your casting stroke at all.
Domenic
Old 08-03-2001, 11:42 AM
Fluff

SOSpenders - good choice. Glad you finally did it after watching you just 'stroll' out to the dropoff. Now you'll also have a second "hand" to help you in those nasty situations.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:11 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

John
I have been thinking about just such a purchase after doing the last two Rip Trips. With the lack of any flotation at a remote site, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to have a few around in the event someone went in the water.(actually anywhere we fish be it remote or "public")Maybe we could give your vest a "try" at the boneclave. If it involves co2 cylinders I could bring them to the clave. Also, if others are interested, we might consider a group purchase with a possible discount.Any thoughts???
JimD.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

OK - who's the lucky guy we get to throw in? }>
Old 08-03-2001, 07:44 PM

Hi From The PNW. The Sospenders was the first in the market place with the inflatable foldaway vest. I have used vest produced by MUSTANG called AIR FORCE [/html] www.mustangsurvival.com for the last year. Very comfortable, easy on, off.
One sugestion Do not purchase any of thes units with the fully automatic inflation system as fishing in surf or deep in a river will allow water to the automatic inflation device and suddenly you are wearing an inflated vest. The manual ripcoard should be more than adequate These vests carry full approvals by Canadian and US Coast guards.
saltRon
Old 08-05-2001, 12:56 PM
President of CAC

Thanks ron, that's the one I bought.. rip cord pull... Jim... I don't know about the discount thing... but I was glad to have the comfort of that jacket while fishing out at the light house in that current... have not triped yet.. but one trip near a drop off and off I go down with that low tide current.. Should have got it a long time ago... but will consider myself lucky AND careful.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:33 PM

John, I've been using mine for several years now- I test it out at the beginning and end of each season (generally manual inflate, but I've tried the ripcord also), and have been totaly satisfied. It's on when I'm in the yak, and for wading when I'm fishing either fast water or when solo. Can barely tell it's there, but it's nice to have it just in case.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Haven't had a saltwater scare...yet. Been swepted away in rivers a couple times, however. Not fun.

I've been thinking about buying one for awhile. It's about time I picked one up.

Thanks for the reminder John.

Now, do they make a kevlar anti-shark version?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.