beginer , Line length question, - Fly Fishing Forum
Art of Casting Analysis, refinement of the cast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 07:51 PM

Question beginer , Line length question,

Hey guys

Pretty new to fly fishing, been doing alot of practice on lawn, only been in the water about 5 times.

I have 1 question, may sound stupid, but gotta ask it.

When, you see a fish or have a spot you wanna cast, and its close, close enough for just leader and tippet cast, no fly line. Do you cast in reg way ? will it cast right with no fly line , just upper section?

Is there a certain type of cast for this sitiuation?

I look forward to all replies

thanx guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 04:50 PM

don't know the answer to your question as my presence seems to send fish further away than that. it be weird to hook a fish so close, tho.

i do remember i was on the yampa once and saw a good 16-incher holding about eight or nine feet from where i was standing so i let my fly drift directly above it with no success. it seemed to be dead since it wasn't wiggling around so i poked it with the tip of my rod and it slowly swam away. it ended up being a white sucker so no big deal.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:35 PM

Line length question,

Odin, a good question, one that took me a while to learn the full implications of, and certainly one that touches upon a deep subject.

Essentially, you need the weight of the fly line to load (bend) the rod which throws the leader and fly at the fish as it springs back, at least on a "regular" cast.

The Yakima River presents situations like that during spring hatches, with fish rising steadily through low visibility water not more than 10 - 15 feet from the boat, but requiring perfect dead drift presentations. A problem develops if you have a "faster" rod that requires a minimum of 20 ++ feet of line in the air to load the rod. You would be better off with a much slower or flexible (and shorter) rod that loads more easily on shorter line.

The bottom line is that you get the fly out to the fish any way you can, and you need to experiment with every way possible to do that. On a river, you can simply slap the fly and leader down into the river upstream from the fish and let it drift down to the fish. Another way would be to pinch the fly between your fingers while exerting pressure on the rod tip to bend it in the direction you want the fly to go, then let go of the fly, flinging the fly forward, like a bow and arrow. This works well for lake or small stream application when trying to get underneath or between foliage when you can't false cast. Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:50 PM

hey

Thanx for the replies guys.

I get what you guys are saying!!

I was trying to remember the bow and arrow cast, thankx for reminding me.

I gues i should use my 6 1/2 ft rod when i know im gonna encounter fishing like that. Thats what your saying right? The shorter rod , will make a shorter line to cast?

thanx for the replies guys.

Trying to get out of the beginer ranks!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 PM

The right leader might help in your situation. A furled leader made of thread will turn over just like a fly line. Poly-Leaders do too but they might be a little 'splashy' for that close-in work. Even the right mono leader will work, either knotless or knotted, as long as you follow the advise of the above posts.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:02 AM

odin,

the shorter rod will probably be more fexible (but not necessarily), the question is really about how flexible the rod is, as opposed to using a rod that is stiff, regardless of the length of the rod. A shorter rod is normally prescribed for conditions you find in small streams, with lots of brush and trees on the banks, and gives you better control of your casts. A shorter rod that is very flexible generally is going to be best for close in precision casts, assuming it is balanced with a fly line and appropriate leader to turn over the fly as pointed out by Jackster. Although I spend a lot of time searching out steelhead and salmon, the challenge of hunting fish in secluded small freestone streams requiring precise casts with light equipment has always been one of my favorites. Sometimes the key will be to re-position yourself to enable you to make the cast with the equipment that you have. On occassion, that might mean moving to take advantage of a hole in the canopy of trees overhead to allow you to backcast up through the hole then straighten out the forward cast to deliver your fly. Lots of fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.