Rod Rack - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2001, 12:43 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Rod Rack

I have been using these as my rod rack in the offseason ;-). Works great, nice and padded, and cheaper than any alternative I could find. About 90 bucks. The best part is that they mount to existing factory luggage racks with no extra parts or bars. They have made it through highway runs for hours at 70 mph+ with no problems.

Here is the web page for more info
http://www.barrecrafters.com/prod/skisnow2.html

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2001, 03:00 PM
President of CAC

There ski racks Right? That's what I use, not that brand but the ... It begins with a T.
Old 05-28-2001, 04:16 PM

Hi
Question: Which way does the rod face ?

If the tip faces forward at speed it tends to swing in the wind especially when overtaking or passing lorries / buses. To stop this if you use a bit of string the rod bends at speed.

if the tip faces out the back there is the worry that someone will run into the sticking out bit.

I have got over the problems by using the front bar and by manufactoring a small bar which fits into where the engine compartment opens. This is now good for a steady 90 miles per hour.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 05-28-2001, 09:12 PM
President of CAC

Willy, I have a Jeep Cherokee with a back hatch that swings up so in my case the rod points forward to allow free opening of the back hatch.. also if the bars are spaced far apart the tip does not swing ... Our speed limit is 55... 75 is fast here...at 90 you wuld find yourself spending the night in jail.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:18 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I'm with Striblue. My hatch pops up, so my rods point forwards. They do bounce a touch when I go in excess of 75, but they are only really up there when I go from place to place. When I get on the highway again, its usually cause I'm heading home. By the way, I thought fly rods are supposed to bend ;-). At least, that's what I'm always trying to get mine to do.

nick
Old 05-29-2001, 08:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

These vacuum rod holders are popular in the pacific northwest and although they are way more $$ they allow selective placement of the rod holders on any vehicle. This is especially useful when moving from river pool to pool with Spey rods 14-16ft in length. In such cases it is clearly better to have the point back, on topic.

With short stout singlehanded SW rods moving from beach to beach I don't think it really matters - although I am habitually a point back thinker from years of bushwacking through dense forests to get to select pools on rivers out west.

I know Kush and others in the PNW are firm believers in these vacuum mounts. Redington now sells them for $125. If they were a little cheaper I'd have them on my truck right now!

FYI
Old 05-29-2001, 09:33 AM
Flats Rat

I recall similar mounts in the U.K. but working on magnetic rather than vacuum principles. We used them a lot in Scotland and Ireland ferrying 15'/ 16' rod around.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:51 PM

Hi
I tried these suction rod holders.

The rod popped off still attached to the holder. The Hardy Perfect reel seat was brken as was my heart. Strangely the rod was undamaged all the energy must have gone into the reel.

Our speed limit is seventy but it takes too long to get anywhere at that speed.

Striblue, What lenth rod are you talking about ? I find the 16ft rod sticks about 5 ft out the front and so has dramtic swins.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 05-29-2001, 07:07 PM
President of CAC

Oh... that's different then... I was talking about a 9 foot rod... so I see what you mean..That length must really flop around. I guess wih a 75 mile speed limit ,90 would be like us driving at 75 with a 55 speed limit.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:47 PM

Ah heck, I don't use rod racks (spey fishing) I just brake the rod down into two sections (4 piece rod) and even the 15 footers slid into my VW Jetta. Chicken Little here has had a rod come off the top of the car once ... and only once. Like above the reel took the major pounding but the rod was also gone. And so was about $500.

Three piece Euro blanks are a pain with the VW; here I do have to break them down into the three sections. I don't unstring the rod though. In the Old Explorer; the three piece but mid section are seperated and in she goes.
FE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.