Ascension Bay Mexico Fishing Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 09:17 PM

Unhappy Ascension Bay Mexico Fishing Report

Hello everyone,

Sorry this is so overdue but might be of some use.

I fished Ascension Bay this past April/May for a month and had a wonderful experience in the Sian Kaan Biosphere. Ended up fishing everyday except the two travel days allowed for getting there and returning back to the airport.

Caught lots of fish throughout the entire trip. Depending what kind of fishing I was doing (wading the beach or fishing the flats) determined what kind of fish I was catching. If I fished the beach I would catch many varieties of jacks, ladyfish, a variety of reef fish, some bones and also had shots at permit but they did not take. Fishing from the beach was more of a challenge to see the fish versus seeing the fish on the flats. On the beach you can just blind cast all day (it will wear you out) and catch fish but to me can be less exciting than hunting the fish like on the flats. You have to know what to look for and be ready at all times to see the fish and make the cast for a successful hookup. A really great way to fish in a paradise setting. I saw no other fisherman the whole time I fished the beach!!

On the flats I saw and caught lots of bones. Some very nice one's for the Ascension Bay area. Throughout the trip I caught and released many fish in the 6,7,8 and one in the 9 pound range!! I have always heard the fish are more numerous but smaller on average in the Carribean (which can be true). But since the banning of the netting several years ago I have noticed a big change in the size of bones that I catch on average now. Yes, 6-7 years ago I caught smaller bones, now I catch and see bigger bones on a regular basis. I'm sure you will catch the small 1-3 pound bones out of the big schools that cruise the area if that's what your targeting. But, if your target are the single and double bone's that cruise on their own you will see that they are quite a bit larger than the singles/doubles that I used to see and catch years ago. It's a great site to see this fishery getting even better.

I also did see many permit, mostly all not interested in the fly. I'm sure there are some of you out there that know this story all to well. That's permit fishing to a tee. I did manage to catch one on my last day, which made all the other permit that spit in my face and ignored the fly that much more rewarding. It seems to me, they are either hungry and show interest in your flies or not hungry and flip you off as they go by.? It's permit fishing! The one I caught was a pair swimming by which I led with a good cast. I could tell immediately when the fly entered the water that 1 of the permit saw it and showed interest right away in which I gave the fly a twitch and watched the fish pounce on it. It makes me wonder after seeing so many what made this one want to take the fly. Sure all my cast weren't great but there sure were enough good casts where I know the fish saw the fly but simply ignored it!! This is frustrating but I know it's part of the program.

I was there mid April to mid May and the weather was just about perfect the whole time until it was time for my wife to arrive. She brought the bad weather with her and it lasted for almost a full week. VERY, VERY, windy and rainy that 5 days or so. We still went out and fished in that mess and I could not beleive my wife was attempting to cast in those conditions. Not only casting but catching a few in the process.

I love this area and will be back again next April. I missed my annual trip down in November so I'm really looking forward to getting back to Ascension Bay. If your looking for a great flats fishing destination this is it!!! If anyone has any questions or thinking about goind down that way and have never been, feel free to shoot me an [email] at profota@colorado.net and I'll be happy to help you out.

Apologize for taken so long to post this but hopefully someone will get something out of it.

Have a good day,
Tim

Last edited by profota; 12-01-2004 at 09:31 PM. Reason: new text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Thanks Tim!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM

Adrian,

Your welcome. Sorry it's late but hopefully someone going down there during that time of the year might get some useful information out of it.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:27 PM

Thumbs up Cuzan fishing

Fishing Ascension bay is hot right now. I just got back from a trip with Cuzan Guest House and landed an incredible amount of bonefish. I also spent a day chasing permit in which we saw over 20 permit and made casts to 12 of them. Had one good opportunity but you know how permit get. The accodations at Cuzan were rustic but it was great hospitality and food was great also. My hostess, Teal, was very upbeat and cheerful. Not to mention the great piña coladas and margaritas she would serve me each day back from the flats. Check them out on the web www.flyfishmx.com

Always Fishin´
Gratefulfenny
Old 12-08-2004, 02:34 PM

Ascension Bay

Greatfulfenny,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time and a successful fishing trip to top it off. I wish I was just getting back or better yet, getting ready to go! I know where Cuzan is, drank a couple of beers there with some local friends. Nice place. I have been staying at Pesca Maya lodge the last 6 years and love the place. I like being away from the village of Punta Allen and the setting at the lodge is lovely. Don't get me wrong I love to go to the village every chance I get to experience the culture and people.

Do you plan on going back to the area? Any photos? I'm happy to hear you trip was a good one.

Loomis
Old 12-17-2004, 04:45 PM

Yes I am going back. It looks like last week in January or first few weeks in Feb. If anyone wants to join us just post your dates here and maybe have the whole camp filled with hungry saltwater anglers looking for the elusive permit.

Always Fishin'
Gratefulfenny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.