Brown Trout Weamer - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Brown Trout Weamer

Mentioned this fly before and I sent a couple of people a sample, however, I haven't put together decent tying instructions. Until now.

Over the past few trips, this fly has hooked 9 out of the 11.

Instructions at:

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...er/weamer.html

Should mention that it's also good for resident trout, smallies, pike, and chinook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w01.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	4046  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 09:45 AM

Nice fly Peter,

I have one that is simaler, but all white. It also works well. I will have to give yours a try. It also looks as if it would be a good one to tie on a tube. Thanks for posting it.

Charlie.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM

Never thought of it as a potential tube fly, but sure, it should go. The steelies just crush this fly at times. The last time out, one took three shots at it before hammering it hard on the last one, then breaking me off with a single head shake. They'll go for it even in cold water which pretty well puts the lie to the conventional wisdom in the GLs that it's dead drift only when it gets cold.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:01 AM

Nice.

I had great luck with a Jones Special this fall. It looks a little like yours but has a pearl krystal flash body and some in the wing. The tan top half of the wing is a little lighter.

Link to one is here http://homepage.mac.com/ianmartin/PhotoAlbum3.html

I had an issue with some of the hooks coming back needle staight (hard strikes and a bad batch of hooks) and I had a few on small tubes. They worked very well and the small tube hooks kept them buttoned up.

I've seen Charlie's fly and it's similar in flavor. Should have snagged one when I had the chance

-Chris
Old 12-04-2004, 02:05 PM

Some nice looking fish on Ian's site. That Jones Special looks like an interesting fly, though the Jungle Cock is always an issue.

One of these days I'll have to make a trip to the Gaspé . . .
Old 12-04-2004, 10:22 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Also loved the photos of the Gaspé — I can't believe it will be 7 long months til I return. And I agree that Jones is a great fly — I've taken steelhead in the NW and salmon on the Gaspé and in NB. A wonderful fly. In the flies I gotten from Marc, though, he used dark grey spey hackle and pure white wings — arctic fox, I think. I tie my wings with polar bear. Now don't give me a hard time — I got it from Harry Darbee 30 some years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.