almost an Akroyd - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2004, 12:03 AM
LBFF Mojo

almost an Akroyd

Finally getting back to the vise after a long break after all my flies were stolen. This is my first attempt at the dee style so be nice Russ This fly is Akroyd colors but both body segments are dubbed and no hackle on the yellow. So not really an Akroyd at all but I bet it will fish. Sorry about the image quality , my camera sucks in macro mode. Also sorry about the large head on this fly. Was so focused on getting the wings right I was not working at keeping the head small. Anyway, comments appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dee.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	3997  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Sean...

I like it!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Ouch! Sorry to learn that your flies were stolen...I hope the person that pinched them loses every one of them to the rock Gods.

I like your fly - and IMO it's close enough to the character of an Akroyd to call it such. I wish half my first attempts (Dee or otherwise) turned out as nice as yours.

Just out of curiosity, why is Russ's opinion of your work important? Granted, he is the board Moderator, but his tying is no better or worse than your own or other members of this Forum.

It kind of bothers me when people submit their flies for public review with apologies or expecting critisism - you tied it, you posted it, be very proud of it, Sean.

Usual disclaimer...just my opinion, two cents, etc.

Igor
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Igor -

I am putting the finishing touches on a special thank you collection of flies for Sean, most of which came from members from both coasts. He has (and continues to) save our butts in the webmaster department on this site for nothing more than our appreciation and this is a nice way of saying thanks.

It's not too late to get some of your flies into this
Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 AM

Shawn,

That flie looks great to me. And I don't think the head is to large. In fact it is very well formed.

Charlie.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Igor -

I am putting the finishing touches on a special thank you collection of flies for Sean, most of which came from members from both coasts. He has (and continues to) save our butts in the webmaster department on this site for nothing more than our appreciation and this is a nice way of saying thanks.

I'd be happy to kick in a few of my mangy flies. Just PM me with a mailing addy and I'll accomodate.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Igor! I have a sneaky suspicion that these will be beautiful ties. PM on the way...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Mr. Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Igor -

Juro or Sean, Email or PM me with Sean's address and I'll send him some flies to get him through the winter. The sooner the better, cause I ain't goin near a postoffice after december 10th. Or Sean, if you frequent aarons shop, let me know and I'll drop a care package off there.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.