Native-bearing tribs of the Snoqualmie - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2000, 07:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Native-bearing tribs of the Snoqualmie

It always amazed me how many wild steelhead are caught in the Snoqualmie. I fished it a lot over the years and have seen very strong returns of wild fish despite the sudden end at the falls, and a seemingly small spawning potential.

Where do they all come from?

I know there are naturally reproducing fish in Tokul, the Tolt has a strong population of wild (native) steelhead, the Raging has a bunch, and some spawn in the mainstem. I've seen redds from the rope bridge in Carnation in April, and crossed over at the top of the island above Tokul to stand on the big basalt rockpile and count redds on the flat above the kayaker's chute. I've caught 4 out of 7 unclipped on the middle Tolt many years ago just before they closed it in spring, and have caught both summer and winter wild steelhead at the mouth of the Raging.

So I guess when you add it all up, there is quite a wild fish potential in a river that stops about as abruptly as a river could!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2000, 09:38 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

RE:Native-bearing tribs of the Snoqualmie

I haven't run into as many as Juro, but have had the pleasure of acquainting myself with a few unclipped (wild?) summers both above and below the Raging and one large buck that munched my purple/pink rabbit matuka on a very cold snowy day in early February several years back.

In talking to other flyfishers, there seems to be consensus that there are still good #s of native fish in the Snoqualmie system. It doesn't get near the pressure the Sky or Skagit do in spring (for whatever reason), but it has good fly water and some suprisingly big fish.
Old 12-18-2000, 09:40 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

RE:Native-bearing tribs of the Snoqualmie

Ooops . . . I probably should have said "WERE" . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.