Backing - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2000, 03:43 PM

Backing

Ok, if you ask every single SWFF(Person), you get a different answer in terms of how much and what type of backing to use for the following species:

Striper/Blue

Bonito/N.E. Albies

Bones

Tarpon

I would be interested in what everyone else thought of how much and what type of backing you should have for each of these ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2000, 03:56 PM

RE:Backing

John - I use a Teton 9-11 Large Arbor reel and have 150 yards of backing. It has had close calls with Albies but for Stripers and Blues it hasn't been a problem. I'd say:
Stripers/Blues 150 Yds
Bonito/Albies 200-250
Bones ???????
Tarpon 200-250
Old 02-15-2000, 04:15 PM

McCaff:

I agree with you.....You know, I was one of those guys who thought you needed 300 yards of backing for everything and thus used larger reels all of the time. I got an eye opener last fall fishing for Fat Alberts. I hit the beach for 2 days with an Abel 3N with Gel Spun backing. About 200 yards and to tell you the truth, I was concerned that I did not have enough backing. So I cranked the drag down and went to a heavier flurocarbon tippet (20lb) and went at it. I was in Albie Heaven those 2days as I hooked over 20 fish from the beach. I did break off 2 fish (my fault as I was not paying attention when they hit) but did land almost all of the others. The biggest 11 to 12 lb took me until I could see the bottom of the gold spool and then came screaming back at me. What those days taught me is that as long as I am using the drag combined with the right tippet, 200 yards should be enough for anything (Not Tunas !!) that swims in New England. I am sure I will get some folks that think otherwise and would be open for feedback....

John (No longer the backing hog !)
Old 02-15-2000, 04:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

Good topic... I feel comfortable with the 275 yds of 30 I get on my reels. This year's new investment, the Lamson LS 4, holds the same on a super drag and ultralarge arbor. It ain't a Charlton but at under $300 I plan to give it a road test on albies and bonito this summer.

I like a slew of other reels, it's just that this one happens to have my loyalty right now for price/performance. Jim Muprhy at Redington is making the choice pretty hard lately though!
Old 02-16-2000, 08:22 AM

I got 2 spools for my Sci Angler System II 8/9. Both have 250 yds. of 30lb backing (Hi Bob!). I might have put on less if I had not started into Albies last year. So if you're going to go for Albies or Bonito, you need mucho: especially from shore where you have no option to move the boat if you get spooled. One or some of us will probably crack the 5 lb Albie barrier this year and get into the next bigger class...say 8-12lb. I can hear it now ....ZZZZz z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:32 AM

Terry,

You were certainly off to a good start in your quest at the end of last season!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.